Norwegian terrorst Anders Behring Breivik was jailed for a maximum term on Friday when judges declared him sane enough to answer for the massacre of 77 people last year.
The Oslo district court found the 33-year-old right-wing terrorist guilty of terrorism and premeditated murder for the twin attacks on July 22, 2011. Breivik first bombed government headquarters, killing eight people, before going on a shooting massacre on Utoya island that left 69 dead at a summer camp for young members of the governing Labor Party.
"He has killed 77 people,
most of them youth, who were shot without mercy, face to face. The cruelty is
unparalleled in Norwegian history," Judge Arne Lyng said. "This means that the
defendant even after serving 21 years in prison would be a very dangerous
Breivik said he wouldn't appeal the ruling because that would "legitimize" a court he said got its mandate from a political system that supports multiculturalism.
Not surprisingly, terrorist remained a forbidden jargon in major western media reports during Breivik's months-long trial as well as his sentence.
Here are sample headlines
in the major American, British, Australian and
New York Times:
Norway Killer Is Ruled Sane and Given 21 Years in Prison
killer Anders Breivik ruled sane, given 21-year prison term
carried AP story with the headline: Both Breivik, survivors welcome Norway
prison sentence for massacre of 77 people
USA Today also
carried AP story with the headline: Norway mass-killer Breivik sane, won't
Behring Breivik: Norway court finds him sane
(UK): 'I think he should get 21 years for each he murdered': Mother's anger at
Breivik's jail-term for slaughtering 77 people
UK: Breivik verdict: Norwegian extremist declared sane and sentenced to 21
UK: Sane' Anders Breivik sentenced to 21 years in jail