Israeli/Turkish/Palestinian Tensions - by Stephen Lendman
Israel's increasing isolation.
Issues affecting Palestinians include:
- statehood within 1967 borders (22% of historic Palestine);
- East Jerusalem as its capital;
- full de jure UN membership;
- 44 years of illegal occupation;
- decades of unresolved Israeli crimes of war and against humanity;
- daily land theft and dispossessions;
- illegal detentions and torture;
- argeted assassinations;
- horrific levels of oppression and persecution overall; and
- many other longstanding festering grievances.
For Turkey, relations have deteriorated for years. Cast Lead exacerbated them. So did murdering nine Turkish nationals on May 31, 2010, aboard the Mavi Marmara humanitarian aid ship.
On September 12, Today's Zaman (a Turkish English language broadsheet) headlined, "Erdogan: Mavi Marmara raid was 'cause for war,' " saying:
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said: