Ron Paul's Radical Views

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

I have written previously about Representative Ron Paul's extremist views, but with his surging fundraising and steadily climbing poll numbers it seems another visit to this deluded Libertarian's views is in order.

Many of my non-political friends have asked my opinion on Paul. They are seduced by his anti-war views and GOP underdog status, and somehow consider him a real alternative to the current crop of warmongering Republican and "celebrity" Democratic candidates. I try hard to inform them that despite the pleasing surface, his positions are radical and he espouses a form of government never before attempted on the planet Earth;
Libertarians are a small group whose beliefs are unknown to and not accepted by the vast majority. They are utopian because there has never yet been a libertarian society (though one or two have come close to some libertarian ideas.) These two facts should not keep us from considering libertarian ideas seriously, however they do caution us about accepting them for practical purposes.
To examine Dr. Paul's positions, let's first take a quick look at a bedrock Libertarian principle;
A great degree of order in society is necessary for individuals to survive and flourish. It's easy to assume that order must be imposed by a central authority, the way we impose order on a stamp collection or a football team. The great insight of libertarian social analysis is that order in society arises spontaneously, out of the actions of thousands or millions of individuals who coordinate their actions with those of others in order to achieve their purposes. Over human history, we have gradually opted for more freedom and yet managed to develop a complex society with intricate organization. The most important institutions in human society -- language, law, money, and markets -- all developed spontaneously, without central direction.
In short, Libertarians believe government is an obstacle to personal liberty. The above author's logic is suspect, however. He says the constraints of government stop societies from empowering the individual freedoms of its citizens, all the while saying such ordered systems will be spontaneously created by the actions of millions of citizens in the absence of such controls. News flash- these systems did spontaneously generate. That's how we ended up with government to begin with! What else is government than the method by which such spontaneous relationships is exercised? In America laws were written and governmental bodies were formed, for the most part, to address real situations, not to slowly steal away the rights of citizens.

It seems like Libertarians are advocating a return to feudalism. Without government, unrestrained free markets would enrich the already powerful, allowing them to rule the way lords of old did. They controlled the assets, and the less fortunate looked to their lords to protect them and keep them alive, similar to the faith my dog has in my ability to fill his food dish.

So how about Representative Paul? Let's go over a few of his more radical positions. If after reading this those of you supporting or considering Ron Paul are not swayed that his Libertarian principles are a little kooky, or at the least require a tad more thought, then it's likely you supported Bush as well, and thus convincing you with reason was already impossible. Maybe I could dress up like God with a wig and false beard and chuck lightning bolts to change those kind of minds. Anyhow, on with the list;

These positions alone should disqualify him as a viable presidential candidate in most people's minds. Hopefully posts like this will serve to educate the public, and keep citizens from being snookered by his more popular antiwar positions.

Having the temerity to post on Ron Paul means one thing; an inevitable viral rush of Paul supporters with snide comments and logically fallacious arguments. These folks tend to proclaim long-standing support for Dr. Paul, but I suspect they are mostly disillusioned former Bush supporters, seeking a candidate to help minimize the humiliation created by the president's foolishness over the last seven years. Hopefully this post will sway a few of them back over to the side of reason and sanity.

UPDATE: I wrote a comment on Digg that came out just right so I had to link it up and re-post it here;
I sure wish Ron Paul's positions were as groundbreaking and fantastic as his supporters make out. Unfortunately he seems to me to be a supply-sider in wolf's clothing, an elitist with an elaborate political philosophy to cloak less than honorable intentions. It seems Libertarians forgot the days of the robber barons, the Vanderbilts, Carnegies, Morgans, and Harrimans. That's exactly what we would get if we relied on people's good intentions to rein in a wild, completely free market.

Government has a purpose. The different branches of our current system evolved to take care of problems that popped up organically over the lifetime of our country. People don't just wake up and say "Let's go tax the hell out of someone and regulate everything in sight." When some kid loses an eye on a toy or somebody's balls are sucked off in a pool drain the free market doesn't swoop in to make it all better. Indeed the Bush administration proves this; during their tenure toy manufacturers greedily sold our children lead-laced toys, drug companies sent dangerously under-tested drugs through a corrupt FDA to hurt and kill lots of people (think Vioxx) and contaminated produce ends up on our tables.

American history clearly shows what deregulating industry does- it hurts the average joe and enriches the elites. Anyone who makes this concept a cornerstone of their governing philosophy must be treated like they are RADIOACTIVE and be quickly and quietly led well away from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Mike Kuykendall is a progressive, patriotic veteran of the U.S. Air Force, fighting hard to save our democracy.

Ron Paul's Radical Views

Make NO Mistake, Obama Wants Justice Too

Our Democracy Clings By Its Fingernails

Religious Kooks Think Obama's the Antichrist

Stopping the FCC from Consolidating Media Ownership

The REAL John McCain

Comments

In trying to understand Ron Paul's support the... by Joel S. Hirschhorn on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 9:50:59 AM
Though I do not fear a Ron Paul cnadidacy, I would... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:07:41 AM
Please note that when Ron Paul is asked about his ... by David Martin on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:44:46 AM
Really.  We're picking a President here- ... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 2:47:50 PM
You count Clinton or Obama as the best? If they ar... by Barbara Peterson on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 7:40:58 PM
I believe that Paul's inate honesty is seducti... by ardee D. on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 8:21:39 AM
Well put, Ardee.  I frequently ask why anyone... by Mike Kuykendall on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 11:38:44 AM
If you want to abolish the Federal Reserve, how wo... by Mike Kuykendall on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 11:34:55 AM
These Paul suporters simply havent done the hard w... by ardee D. on Friday, Nov 23, 2007 at 9:12:23 AM
"These folks tend to proclaim long-standing s... by Jeremy Frombach on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:45:12 AM
Safely from the boistrous House floor, of course.&... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:07:39 PM
I have only one question for you- if you abolish t... by fuzzy wzhe on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:42:21 PM
I'm not convinced.  You do not state how ... by Mike Kuykendall on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 11:42:06 AM
"They controlled the assets, and the less for... by Jason Droon on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:47:31 AM
I have to say I dislike your tone, first of all, s... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:12:54 PM
You say badly researched- I link directly to Dr. P... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:13:59 PM
Mike,I must disagree that Ron Paul's views are... by Cleaner44 on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:48:08 AM
Teddt Roosevelt, FDR and other progressive preside... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:17:28 PM
Libertarians recognize that no change happens over... by BugMan on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:11:53 AM
We've gone down the road of free markets and d... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:21:56 PM
Mike, it difficult to believe that you could suppo... by Mike Folkerth on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:23:04 AM
Not such a big fan of abolishing large chunks of o... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:29:00 PM
Maybe yoo'd better read some of Paul's vie... by Brad Griffeth on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:48:13 PM
So you say now that the US is lagging behind the o... by Mike Kuykendall on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 11:46:12 AM
"deluded Libertarian's views is in order.... by chessmaster on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:38:26 AM
Ad hominem attacks do not win an educated argument... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:31:40 PM
I'm a Brit. I keep hearing about 16 intelligen... by ibrahim turner on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 9:43:11 PM
Now, of ALL times, is not the time for America to ... by Mike Kuykendall on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 11:49:31 AM
According to the dictionary radical means relating... by dutchman on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:39:35 AM
Why do I say that?  Because the Constitution ... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:51:50 PM
Your article is a stunning example of what nearly ... by Aaron Walker on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 12:06:51 PM
I disagree with your first sentence, so I expect t... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:55:47 PM
Well, you stuck to the easy stuff in your reply, w... by Aaron Walker on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:22:17 PM
The burden of proof is on you, to explain fully to... by Mike Kuykendall on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 11:54:31 AM
For someone who does not have a vote but thinks th... by ibrahim turner on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:00:18 PM
I just don't want his ideas in the White House... by Mike Kuykendall on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 11:56:18 AM
Ron Paul is a con man not a radical. Ron Paul is n... by Ty on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 1:16:27 PM
And I do not diasagree that these are all valid ar... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:59:17 PM
Federal Reserve should be abolished or at least pu... by Ty on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 1:27:22 PM
Though I think Kucinich would get creamed in the g... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:01:17 PM
Read the US Constitution. If that does not promote... by rc on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 1:51:01 PM
But over time our nation figured out a little soci... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:06:24 PM
The libertarian perspective Ron Paul advocates is ... by Bill Samuel on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 1:51:50 PM
Why support a candidate when you disagree with his... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:10:28 PM
I like a lot about Ron Paul. I trust him as an hon... by Rob Kall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 2:34:58 PM
It would be fascinating to see a race between Paul... by Over It on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:32:59 PM
I truly hope Rudy wins.  It would be hilariou... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:15:20 PM
And I really don't dislike the guy personally.... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:13:05 PM
I'm a former Democrat against preemptive milit... by Over It on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 2:40:10 PM
Paul would continue the destructive cycle- look at... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:17:54 PM
Now is not his moment in the sun. Now is not the ... by Over It on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 1:12:47 PM
One of the problems I have with your argument is t... by Leon Kassab on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:24:53 PM
A couple of paragraphs into your comment I got los... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:27:52 PM
<Quote> If you support Paul's idea of ab... by Aaron Walker on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:45:44 PM
I do.  I will not trust more contractors with... by Mike Kuykendall on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 11:59:11 AM
Sorry for my style of writing, I get so bogged dow... by Leon Kassab on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 8:06:13 PM
I do like your style- well read, civil, and logica... by Mike Kuykendall on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 12:05:46 PM
"Why do all this now, when we need to put our... by Leon Kassab on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 4:43:15 PM
Mike wants to protect our current National Securit... by daveys on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 3:38:48 PM
Reign in the illogical arguments.  Firstly Ca... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:33:49 PM
Never again will i vote for a Republocrat; defense... by Better World Order on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:03:40 PM
I would vote first for Kucinich because he speaks ... by Sleeper on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 10:36:05 AM
"Without government, unrestrained free market... by Anthony Knittel on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:06:03 PM
Government evolved organically to help the down tr... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:37:48 PM
Government evolved organically to help the down tr... by fuzzy wzhe on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 7:10:30 PM
Damn, you guys can sure swarm well!I was determine... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:45:22 PM
Damn, you guys can sure swarm well!The article sho... by fuzzy wzhe on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 7:53:37 PM
Your Heart Is In The Right Place But You Bend Th... by Brad Evans on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 4:48:52 PM
After 8 years of GOP mismanagement and illegality ... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 7:09:57 PM
When you screw up your critique by mispellingm &qu... by Mike Kuykendall on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 7:12:06 PM
After 8 years of GOP mismanagement and illegality ... by fuzzy wzhe on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 7:23:59 PM
If Ron Paul is a Republican...then Kucinich is a D... by Over It on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 1:31:46 PM
The thing that really scares the hell out of the r... by Ed Encho on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 7:30:11 PM
Mike, I know you’re a smart guy, so I want t... by Greg Albert on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:27:58 PM
I'm sorry about the size of my text. Didn'... by Greg Albert on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:29:35 PM
When our Founding Fathers decided to rebel against... by Sleeper on Friday, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:59:30 PM
To address your issues one-by-one Mike:- U.S. part... by Sean Freeman on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 7:33:25 AM
The only terrorists, that exist that are not worse... by Professor Emeritus Peter Bagnolo on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 9:36:59 AM
A government big enough to give you everything you... by iman on Saturday, Nov 17, 2007 at 3:23:15 PM
Dear Mike Kuykendall... maybe you will change your... by sharon kayser on Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 9:41:16 AM
here is my latest... just in... the so-called orde... by sharon kayser on Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 3:06:08 PM
The Ignorant Bliss in America is overbeing ruled t... by E E on Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 10:12:04 AM
Mr. Mike Kuykendall, First, thank you for your mi... by reasonableperson on Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 6:20:51 PM
Oops, some of the formatting didn’t print. ... by reasonableperson on Sunday, Nov 18, 2007 at 6:30:53 PM
I know Ardee, I should not use Jerk, but these Ron... by pratliff94 on Friday, Nov 23, 2007 at 11:11:08 AM
Pratliff94, You are making a good case for the ar... by reasonableperson on Friday, Nov 23, 2007 at 8:27:54 PM
I guess I am getting through huh? I confess to bei... by ardee D. on Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:12:42 AM
I just had to do it. I could say the Devil made me... by pratliff94 on Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 5:28:00 PM
Senator Byrd was once a supporter of the KKK, and ... by ardee D. on Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 7:28:20 PM
Not so much for the content of his article, though... by ardee D. on Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 9:54:43 AM
Ardee,   I’ve read the responses to M... by reasonableperson on Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 at 11:55:09 PM
My ire was not directed at those few here, and you... by ardee D. on Sunday, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:04:35 AM
Your point is well-taken about the comment length.... by reasonableperson on Monday, Nov 26, 2007 at 2:35:06 PM