A general strike is going to take place in the United States of America on the 11th of September, 2008, seven years after the 911 attack. While it has still not been reported by the mainstream media, you might have read about it, because a lot has been written and commented in alternative media, as a google search of General Strike 9/11/08 easily shows.
I think the organization of the strike merits some attention. Lacking a central command, this action needs a heavy participation of the people.
Let me point out some items:
* Banners have to be prepared or printed, but before that the people carrying them have to decide about the content of the banners they will be carrying. If you strike, you have a right to decide why.
* Striking is not easy, one has to choose whether to ask for the day off, or contactsome unions asking for support/advice, or meet with fellow co-workers to talk together with the boss.
* What will you do this day? Meet at somebody's home and discuss? Meet outside and talk to fellow citizens? Stop your city or town (by pacifist means such as sitting on the ground or linking arms), as it is supposed to occur during general strikes? Again, either previous discussion with colleagues or previous careful documentation of usual procedures is going to be needed.
* Paperwork: If a lot of people are to gather and disrupt traffic, it's good to inform the authorities beforehand.
(1) Take a look at some of these meetup groups, join one or several of them. Ii's quick, easy and free. Meet as soon as possible with like-minded people and report back here about the organization efforts that are being done
(2) Share your own organizational tools in use, web tools or other.
I caught some organizing nuclei, in a Methodist church in Seattle, in Texas, and in New York City.