To all of you Clinton and Obama supporters: will someone tell me why I should vote for either? I listen to their “stump speeches”, their oratory, their campaign rhetoric, but have yet to hear either address the issues that I hold important.
Where does your candidate stand on:
- The Iraq War: It’s not important to me that Obama can say he never supported the war or that Clinton voted for the resolution authorizing force against Iraq. It is important to me that neither has made a stand to bring an end to the occupation, be it opposition to funding or a firm Senate stand against its progress.
- Roe v Wade: It’s not important to me whether their individual beliefs are pro-life or pro-choice. It is important to me that they have a commitment to uphold a woman’s right to choose.
- Healthcare: single payer healthcare is commonly accepted as the sole means of providing healthcare to all Americans, yet neither are willing to step on insurance company toes to accomplish that.
- Fair Trade: Neither has addressed the issue of NAFTA or fair trade.
- Unemployment: Where do they stand on the exportation of American jobs, by American corporations to foreign nations at the expense of the now-floundering American economy.
- Guest Worker Programs: Yes/No and why.
In the 2008 California Primary, there were nearly a quarter million Democratic votes cast for candidates other than Clinton or Obama – votes for Dodd, Kucinich, Gravel, or Biden. 250,000 is a mere pittance when compared to the 15+ million cast for the front runners, but it must be recognized that 250,000 voters literally said No to both the front runners.
Someone convince these people why they should follow the party lead and cast their November ballot for one of these two. A vote against the Republicans doesn’t count.