We have in common great patriotism and loyalty to the US Constitution, and disgust with the current disregard of their oath of office on the part of the current Congress. Every member has sworn to uphold and defend the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Instead, they are passing one fascist law after another, giving the "unitary executive" unlimited power to "disappear" any of us for "thought crimes". How unAmerican can you get!
The candidates who have joined NBC have in common a burning desire for peace and cooperation with other nations to solve planetary problems like global warming, control of nuclear weapons and materials, pollution, conversion to sustainable energy, famine, disease, using up of resources, etc. We see that the war machine is dictating to Congress, which continues to pass huge sums of money for military adventures, while cutting back essential services in the areas of health care, education, maintaining physical infrastructure, overseeing public agencies, etc. As a result, our budget is bankrupt, our people are becoming impoverished, and our reputation as an honorable nation is destroyed.
We of the New Broom Coalition have in common a love for our children and for future generations. We fear for our nation and for life on our planet. Unless the policies of the current administration are reversed quickly, we may be doomed to a future of violent weather, massive poverty and huge, painful losses of life from war, disease, famine. Much of this is already taking place. The frontrunners for president are all warmongers. We need a clean sweep of Congress, with New Brooms who represent We the People replacing the lackeys who now represent the corporations and rich folks who profit from war. Only a peace-oriented Congress will enable us to turn this country around toward a peaceful and prosperous future.
If you have ever thought about running for public office, now is the time. If you don't run yourself,, please look around your district for suitable candidates, and encourage them to run. In order to join NBC, a candidate simply has to subscribe to our mission statement- see below. He/she will then be admitted to our private discussion group, will be featured on our website- http://sances.info/newbroom- and will share in our publicity as time goes on.
Our first focus is on impeachment of Bush and Cheney. While they will be out of office in January '09, focusing on impeachment right now puts incumbent Congresspeople on notice that they are being challenged because they are keeping impeachment off the table. We want to make impeachment the central issue of the 2008 Congressional campaign. This will help move the current Congress toward bringing the criminals in the White House to justice.
Each candidate in NBC will have an individual platform, of course, and we don't all have to agree on everything. The mission statement is broad and sensible, and should appeal to many caring, concerned citizens.
We're hoping to have candidates in every district. Up until the Congressional primaries, we'll admit more than one candidate per district, as long as they are from different political parties and thus not in competition.
This is a peaceful, legal way to make the changes necessary for survival and peace.
Candidates who wish to join the New Broom Coalition should contact us through our website http://sances.info/newbroom
1) We believe Bush and Cheney have committed many impeachable offenses. If elected, we will work to impeach them in the first two opening weeks of the 111th Congress, and will continue the process after they leave office. We will get rid of precedents they have set, and make them subject to criminal proceedings, which will strip them of the perks and protections that ex- executives usually receive. We will restore the rule of law, and bring lawbreakers to justice.
2) We will seek to restore the Constitution, especially the balance of powers among the branches, and the Bill of Rights.
3) We will work to restore paper ballots and ensure the integrity of the election process.
4) We will work for withdrawal from occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, stop threatening Iran, and seek a negotiated peace with these countries, on a fair basis. We will work actively for world peace, and put an end to endless war.
5) We will make it priority to address global concerns such as global warming, and to work with other nations on the basis of leadership, not military might. We will put planetary survival and restoration of ecological balance above private profit.
6) We will seek to control nuclear weapons by restoring the nuclear NonProliferation Treaty, pressuring Israel, India and Pakistan to join it, and start the process of disarmament of nuclear nations mandated by Article VI.
1 | 2