Life Arts

Whitman Recidivist

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 4 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Well Said 2   Interesting 2   Valuable 2

opednews.com Headlined to None 7/5/14

From flickr.com/photos/10381539@N03/3338425908/: Walt Whitman - por Mathew Brady (algo entre 1855 e 1865)
Walt Whitman - por Mathew Brady (algo entre 1855 e 1865)
(image by marcelo noah)
  DMCA

"I know I am restless and make others so"

for I confront peace, security, and all the settled laws,

to unsettle them""

--Walt Whitman

Walt Whitman can't remember

what he did with America.

It was there in his back pocket

yesterday or the day before:

caroling, brawling, lusty, democratic;

stretching its broad-backed plains

in the sun between seas.

He walks from door to door

selling subscriptions to the Universe.

Who are these sad-eyed does,

this tamed race, moping proletariat?

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3  |  4

Gary Corseri has published & posted his work at hundreds of venues worldwide, including Op Ed News, The New York Times, CounterPunch, CommonDreams, DissidentVoice, L.A. (and Hollywood--) Progressive. He has been a professor in the US & Japan, has (more...)

The Rise of Our Dumbocracy (A Review of Paul Craig Roberts' "How America Was Lost")

"Bring Back Our Girls!"

Mourning John F. Kennedy and a Half-Century of Degraded Arts and Culture

"17 Camels: Can a Sufi Tale Heal Our Broken World?"

Safe Passage..., with a Big IF: A Review of Paul Craig Roberts' THE FAILURE OF LAISSEZ FAIRE CAPITALISM

Planetary Consciousness and the Tears of the World: A Review of Carolyn Baker's "Collapsing Consciously"

Comments

Can there be "life, liberty, and the pursuit of ha... by Gary Corseri on Saturday, Jul 5, 2014 at 11:58:35 AM
Walt Whitman was mentally ill and extremely distur... by Bill Johnson on Saturday, Jul 5, 2014 at 2:47:39 PM
"Just do a google search on walt whitman and menta... by J. Edward Tremlett on Monday, Jul 7, 2014 at 5:38:46 PM
Thank you for your research... and your comment, J... by Gary Corseri on Tuesday, Jul 8, 2014 at 8:57:49 AM
Inept with a computer are you? Can't see the fores... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:29:44 AM
Actually, I didn't find anything because I didn't ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13:17 PM
Thanks for your comment, Bill.We should all be so ... by Gary Corseri on Saturday, Jul 5, 2014 at 3:30:00 PM
Great piece Gary ... by Kevin Tully on Saturday, Jul 5, 2014 at 6:40:18 PM
Bill, have you read any of his work? ... by Kevin Tully on Saturday, Jul 5, 2014 at 7:56:27 PM
Mille grazie, muchas gracias, Kevin! ... by Gary Corseri on Saturday, Jul 5, 2014 at 7:57:53 PM
Great stuff, Gary. I really enjoyed it, and I admi... by E. J. N. on Monday, Jul 7, 2014 at 10:05:02 PM
Thank you, E.J.N. One could go on endlessly quoti... by Gary Corseri on Tuesday, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:06:08 AM
Exactly. And I think one of the things that caused... by E. J. N. on Tuesday, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:27:22 AM
I can't help mentioning, after reading your poem a... by Michael David Morrissey on Wednesday, Jul 9, 2014 at 2:32:48 AM
Thank you for your comment above, E.J.N.I certainl... by Gary Corseri on Tuesday, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:18:02 AM
You're right. I was in Berkeley in 1969 when then-... by E. J. N. on Tuesday, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:46:07 PM
Traveling, I am just now able to catch up with the... by Gary Corseri on Wednesday, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:37:07 AM
Gary, I wonder if universities are the best place ... by Michael David Morrissey on Wednesday, Jul 9, 2014 at 1:00:48 PM
Fact: Walt Whitman's father, and two brothers suff... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jul 9, 2014 at 10:53:58 AM
"And a man who fantasized and enjoyed violent sexu... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jul 9, 2014 at 10:20:36 PM
Bill, Thanks for your comment. I see that you are... by Gary Corseri on Wednesday, Jul 9, 2014 at 6:56:35 PM
"Why not grant others the privilege of commenting ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jul 9, 2014 at 10:27:40 PM
We're on the same wavelength, Gary. To stick with ... by Michael David Morrissey on Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:02:50 AM
MDM--With resonant academic experiences, I'm sure ... by Gary Corseri on Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:01:39 AM
Thanks, Gary. I will try to find a copy of Four Qu... by Michael David Morrissey on Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 1:35:16 PM
Thanks for your recs, MDM--"here and here"! (I'm ... by Gary Corseri on Thursday, Jul 10, 2014 at 9:04:51 PM
I read the Rowsey piece and "Prologues," and liste... by Michael David Morrissey on Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 2:13:49 AM
MDM--thanks for your note. I'm still in transit; ... by Gary Corseri on Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:42:10 AM