Dear Mr. Barack Obama,
I am a 56-year-old US citizen who has been living in Europe for the past 13 years. I write to confirm that your election to the Presidency has ignited hope in many people who are not even US citizens.
Your winning the election reveals that the soul of America still lives. This brings hope to many in the world. Bringing hope incurs personal responsibilities. For example, you now face a conflict between representing the hope of the world and keeping the promises you made to certain individuals and organizations during your campaign.
I am writing to say that this conflict won't exist if you take refuge in adult responsibility. But we have not been shown what adult responsibility is. We have no role models.
If a child makes a mess, who cleans it up? The adults. Modern culture makes huge messes with no intention of cleaning them up. Modern society is child-level responsibility.
For example, the Unites States is:
- Burning fossil fuels to push CO2e levels high enough to melt Siberian tundra, under which lies 400 gigatons of methane clathrates already bubbling out as a 60 times stronger heat collector than CO2. See here, here and here.- Advertisement -
- Using Depleted Uranium (DU) weapons to permanently contaminate 8% of the Earth's land for 4.5 billion years in Kosovo, Bosnia, Lebanon, Iraq, and Afghanistan. See here and here.
- Consuming beef, tropical hardwood products and biofuels that encourage rainforest destruction and contribute to a species extinction rate that is 1,000 times faster than when the dinosaurs died off 65 million years ago.
- Administering Ritalin and other psychoactive pharmaceuticals by the ton to our children.
- I think you can add to this list...
The United States has proven itself to be a child-level responsibility society, including its leaders. The world is hoping that you personally have grown up.- Advertisement -
Modern culture is a patriarchal capitalist empire, which is proving to be a suicidal paradigm. The world is hoping that you personally have the balls to step out of that paradigm so you will choose humanity's future over corporate profits.
The world is hoping that you have hope too, Mr. Obama, enough hope to personally hit bottom with us, enough hope to sacrifice modern society's comfort-drug habits in exchange for us having a future. We are with you. We will make the sacrifice of comfort with you when we know we have to. We can do it if you will lead us. Please make the hard choices.
Because if you stay owned by the system that put you in office we are all dead. Civilization is dead. We place our hope in you being a free man Barack Obama. Please.