General News

Thousands of civilians flee Gaza, Palestinian death toll surpasses 160

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 2 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

View Ratings | Rate It

opednews.com Headlined to H2 7/14/14

Original published at RT


Palestinians run following what police said was an Israeli air strike on a house in Gaza city July 9, 2014.
(image by (Reuters / Majdi Fathi))



Thousands have fled northern Gaza after Israel warned residents to leave the area to avoid airstrikes. At least 167 people, mostly civilians, have already died as a result of Operation Protective Edge, which entered its sixth day on Sunday.

Follow RT's live updates on Israel's Operation Protective Edge

Israel dropped leaflets in the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Lahiya, located near the border with Israel, urging residents to leave the region by midday Sunday and warning of airstrikes on Hamas sites.

Residents of the town, which has a population of 70,000, were told via the leaflets and telephone calls that "those who fail to comply with the instructions to leave immediately will endanger their lives and the lives of their families."

At least 167 Palestinians -- most of them civilians, including about 30 children -- have died as a result of airstrikes since Israel's Operation Protective Edge began on Tuesday, Gaza's Health Ministry reported. More than 1,100 others have been injured.

A wounded Palestinian, who hospital officials said was injured in an Israeli air strike, is wheeled into a hospital in Gaza City July 12, 2014. (Reuters / Mohammed Salem)
A wounded Palestinian, who hospital officials said was injured in an Israeli air strike, is wheeled into a hospital in Gaza City July 12, 2014.
(image by (Reuters / Mohammed Salem))



Israel will "strike with might" in the Beit Lahiya area late on Sunday, a senior Israeli military officer told reporters earlier on Sunday, Reuters reported. The officer did not specify whether the offensive will expand from airstrikes to the ground.

"The enemy [Hamas] has built rocket infrastructure in-between the houses [in Beit Lahiya]," the Israeli officer said. "[Hamas] wants to trap me into an attack and into hurting civilians."

The UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) issued an emergency warning in all five areas of the Gaza Strip on Sunday due to the "dramatic escalation in violence over the past few days and the massive assault on Gaza."

Over the past 24 hours, UNRWA has opened a number of its schools as emergency shelters for Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), the organization said on its website. Five shelters have been open in Gaza since 8 a.m. local time, and 2,000 people have already sought refuge.

According to the organization, 45 Palestinians have been killed and 131 others injured over the past 24 hours.
A Palestinian woman gestures as she stands behind a missile which witnesses said was fired by Israeli aircraft, at a shack belonging to Bedouins in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip July 13, 2014. (Reuters / Ibraheem Abu Mustafa)
A Palestinian woman gestures as she stands behind a missile which witnesses said was fired by Israeli aircraft, at a shack belonging to Bedouins in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip July 13, 2014.
(image by (Reuters / Ibraheem Abu Mustafa))



Meanwhile, Gaza's Interior Ministry dismissed Israel's warnings on Hamas radio, calling them "psychological warfare" and urging people to stay in their homes. This is the first time that Israel has dropped leaflets warning residents of upcoming airstrikes. Previously, the IDF used a "knock on the roof" technique -- a warning shot fired at a house so that occupants could leave the premises before the building was destroyed.

Read more: Israeli "knock on the roof" bombing technique caught on film (VIDEO)

According to Israel, more than 800 rockets have been fired by Hamas since the offensive began on Tuesday. Most of them have been intercepted by the Iron Dome air defense system. No Israeli deaths have been reported.

On Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rebuffed international calls for a ceasefire while defending his country's offensive in Gaza during appearances on US television.

He urged Americans to imagine that their cities from the East Coast to Colorado were under the threat of rocket attack, with only 60 to 90 seconds to reach a bomb shelter. "That's what we're experiencing right now, as we speak," he told CBS' "Face the Nation" program.

Netanyahu refused to discuss a ceasefire or give a timeline for Israel's operation in Gaza. When asked if a ground invasion was imminent, he said his country would use any means necessary to accomplish its goal of degrading Hamas' rocket-launching capability in order to restore security for Israeli civilians.

Next Page  1  |  2

 

http://rt.com

rt.com is Russian television, which actually does a great job reporting on US news too.

Share on Google Plus Submit to Twitter Add this Page to Facebook! Share on LinkedIn Pin It! Add this Page to Fark! Submit to Reddit Submit to Stumble Upon

The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.

Writers Guidelines

Contact Author Contact Editor View Authors' Articles

Most Popular Articles by this Author:     (View All Most Popular Articles by this Author)

Senators terrified with abuse of Patriot Act's secret laws

Pope Francis shakes up Vatican Bank supervisory board

DOJ wants Bush, senior cabinet members exempt from Iraq War trial

"World moving away from American financial hegemony"

Fracking Debris Considered Too Radioactive Even For Waste Site

"More destructive" than Stuxnet: Saudis and Israelis propose new malware against Iran nuclear program

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this article has expired.

This limit can be removed. Our paid membership program is designed to give you many benefits, such as removing this time limit. To learn more, please click here.

Comments: Expand   Shrink   Hide  
No comments