Life Arts

This Boomer Turns Sixty. Advice?

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Well Said 2   Interesting 2

opednews.com Headlined to None 6/29/11

So, it's here, the day that's been looming in front of me since I was a kid-- my Sixtieth birthday.

rob kall-- me, on my 60th birthday

Back when I was a kid, reading DC and Marvel comics every day, I was sure that by now I'd have made a trip to the moon and maybe mars and surely would have had sex in zero gravity. Geez, there's still no account of a single sexual act in zero gravity. But I digress.

On the course towards reaching sixty I passed the age my father died from heart disease (51) and will start the day by working on the website I founded, Opednews.com and then going to the gym where I'll work out for about an hour-- shorter than I'd like, but I need to get home to do an interview for my radio show.

Turning sixty feels like is a big deal. But I'm not sure why. It IS the beginning of my seventh decade and that feels pretty old. On the other hand, in March, I went on my first major ski trip since I tore my meniscus a few years ago and still managed to enjoyably navigate black diamond, mogul covered ski slopes, and can still, on a good day, beat my 21 year old son playing racquetball, so I'm not really feeling very old.

Among my friends, the folks I went to high school, college, even kindergarten with (I'm still friends with a few of them) I'm pretty much the last one to turn sixty, since, in third grade, when the Philly school system switched from half year grades to full year, I was moved forward and skipped half a year. That set me up to graduate from high school at 16, which was not fun.

Now as I turn 60, I'm wondering, are there any advantages? Discounts on subways or movies or anything? Any liabilities? I'm pretty sure being past the 50's makes you seem REALLY old to Millennials and possibly also Generations X and Y.

But I'm not alone. Many of my friends here have been through this life benchmark passage and I figured I'd ask what advice, what thoughts you have.

My old friend Wendy, wife of one of my best friends Les, advised me to do something each day that's meaningful. I try and usually succeed.

I've had scores of "friends" I don't know on facebook wish me a happy birthday. If you're so inclined, do it using the commenting system here on OEN, and include some advice or a favorite quote, so it's also about you and I can connect at least a bit beyond the two words happy birthday. And thanks to all who have already wished me a happy birthday.

What advice or observations do you have? You don't have to be 60 or over to comment. If you're near or far from it you can also talk about your own thoughts on turning 60.

support opednews.com by clicking here to donate

Rob Kall is editor-in-chief, publisher and site architect of OpEdNews.com, President of Futurehealth, Inc, and an inventor. He hosts the Rob Kall Bottom Up Radio Show, aired in the Metro Philly area on AM 1360, WNJC. Over 200 podcasts are archived for downloading here, or can be accessed from iTunes. Rob is also published regularly on the Huffingtonpost.com

Rob Kall Wikipedia Page

Rob is, with Opednews.com the first media winner of the Pillar Award for supporting Whistleblowers and the first amendment.

See more Rob Kall articles here and, older ones, here. To learn more about Rob and OpEdNews.com, check out A Voice For Truth - ROB KALL | OM Times Magazine and this article. For Rob's work in non-political realms mostly before 2000, see his C.V..  and here's an article on the Storycon Summit Meeting he founded and organized for eight years. Press coverage in the Wall Street Journal: Party's Left Pushes for a Seat at the Table

Here is a one hour radio interview where Rob was a guest- on Envision This, and here is the transcript.

To watch Rob having a lively conversation with John Conyers, then Chair of the House Judiciary committee, click hereWatch Rob speaking on Bottom up economics at the Occupy G8 Economic Summit, here.

Follow Rob on Twitter & Facebook. His quotes are here

My articles express my personal opinion, not the opinion of this website.

A Conspiracy Conspiracy Theory

Terrifying Video: "I Don't Need a Warrant, Ma'am, Under Federal Law"

Cindy Sheehan Bugged in Denver

Ray McGovern Discusses Brutal Arrest at Secretary Clinton's Internet Freedom Speech

Libertarian Legacy? Ron Paul's Campaign Manager, 49, Dies Uninsured, Of Pneumonia, Leaving family $400,000 Debt

Interview: McCain Fellow Hanoi Hilton POW & Naval Academy Dorm-mate; Why He Won't Vote For McCain

Comments

Yippeee! Join the GREAT 60s Club, Rob! You lo... by MsCYPRAH on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:38:24 AM
Movement is the key to staying physiologically as ... by David McCorquodale on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:50:44 AM
Don't worry about getting older, it doesn't last t... by Dante Vignaroli on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:52:48 AM
Silliness aside, there's no predicting the fate of... by annabanana on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:56:03 AM
... by Bob Soper on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:56:07 AM
I have solved the problem of aging the same way Ja... by Ken Sleeman on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:01:07 AM
I turned 60 last November and it is a 'wake up cal... by Andrea Westmoreland on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:08:11 AM
why would women have all the fun? We, man can say ... by Mark Sashine on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:22:01 AM
Because, Someday, you'll be RIGHT.   Happy ... by Richard Scott on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:33:00 AM
[[tried&tested]]... by Richard Scott on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:50:43 AM
Yeah.   Hang out at 60 for about, oh, a ye... by Michael Bonanno on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:42:55 AM
I have heard that an old person is anyone who is f... by John Sanchez Jr. on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:11:14 AM
And besides, to quote Hilary Cooper:  Life is... by Meryl Ann Butler on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:22:59 AM
The boomers, embraced the idealism of President K... by william czander on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:32:27 AM
All my life I've listened to people who were not a... by Perry Logan on Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:52:46 AM
...die in Viet Nam.It would be nice to be able to ... by Perry Logan on Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:54:45 AM
Throughout history young generations have been c... by william czander on Sunday, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:45:18 PM
OK Rob, there IS a way around it.Raised in the Bay... by JP Sayles on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:14:44 AM
You too can achieve this status.  Raise your ... by JP Sayles on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:20:50 AM
Being five years behind you I would just like to s... by Dave-O on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:25:54 AM
Rob....just look at it this way.  TODAY ... by Peace Lover on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:53:55 AM
It's not how old you are....It's ......How are you... by mikel paul on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:11:56 PM
My son turned 41 yesterday, heh. If it's all downh... by B. Ross Ashley on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:17:01 PM
My advice is to plow ahead without regard to the o... by Peter Duveen on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:40:24 PM
My advice...  Party like its 1980 and you are... by Amanda Lang on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:41:56 PM
and remember the new 60 is the old 40!... by Archie on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:46:14 PM
Happy Birthday to a progressive who may take a sta... by marc rogers on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:48:23 PM
Look out for the boomers. Some are down in the mou... by Margaret Bassett on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:56:34 PM
My advice:  Don't look for things to get any ... by Robert Taylor on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:12:51 PM
Stretch every morning.  No junk food.  K... by Joe Giambrone on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:19:57 PM
"The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the dire... by Rakesh Krishnan Simha on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:20:21 PM
or words to that effect.Keep right on going, becau... by Dave Kisor on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 6:48:31 PM
Celebrate and find joy in every day.   Take... by Judy White on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 7:10:09 PM
Sounds like you are accepting of your big Six-O an... by E. T. SIMON on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 7:31:07 PM
Try to remember the kind of September when life wa... by E. J. N. on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 7:33:30 PM
Happy Birthday and thank you much for what you do.... by Michael Dewey on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:18:35 PM
Advice?  Only one thing:  Over time you ... by Mary Pitt on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:09:10 PM
...that when you come to the end of the road and l... by Sheila Samples on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:28:02 PM
Remember you can't run that fast   You can... by Jan Rose on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:13:13 PM
Laugh often. It's good for your soul, prevents fro... by Madeleine Sklar on Wednesday, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:44:48 PM
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't... by Robert Arend on Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:08:08 AM
be thankful you are not Ethan Rome, who still beli... by Michael Shaw on Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:52:37 AM
fromMad Angel on FB... by MadAngel on Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 9:29:30 AM
 ... by Linus Smith on Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 9:37:13 AM
You are doing the right thing with plenty of exerc... by Odyseus_97 on Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:21:44 AM
Happy Belated Birthday!!  I have no advice...... by Tsara Shelton on Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:38:06 PM
Hi RobCongratulations on reaching 60. Keep up the... by LiberalDemocrat on Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:06:01 PM
Happy Birthday Mr. Kall Any advice-no. Enjoy the ... by George Eliason on Friday, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:33:15 AM
Rob, the 30sec video below was created for my son'... by Phillip Michaels on Monday, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:52:08 AM
for the cute video! Zack musta loved it!... by Meryl Ann Butler on Monday, Jul 4, 2011 at 11:22:49 AM
Meryl Ann, I'm glad you liked it.  Zach's com... by Phillip Michaels on Tuesday, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:59:00 PM
Haven't you heard? 60 is the new 40?? Seriously, i... by L.M. Brown on Saturday, Jul 30, 2011 at 9:24:09 AM