Add this Page to Facebook!   Submit to Twitter   Submit to Reddit   Submit to Stumble Upon   Pin It!   Fark It!   Tell A Friend
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite Save As Favorite View Article Stats
38 comments

Life Arts

Swedish Justice: Assange Charged With Rape, Then Charges Dropped

By (about the author)     Permalink
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 6   Interesting 4   News 3

Headlined to H2 8/21/10

Julian Assange, head of Wikileaks was charged by Swedish authorities with sexual assault, only to have the charges dropped later, Al Jazeera reports;<

...as international media outlets were beginning to pick up the story, Eva Finne, Sweden's chief prosecutor, announced that Assange was no longer wanted.

"I don't think there is reason to suspect that he has committed rape," the chief prosecutor said, but declined to go into any more details.

Assange, using his wikileaks twitter account, denied the accusations,saying "the charges are without basis and their issue at this moment is deeply disturbing."

Wikileaks founder JulianAssange[Photo: Esther Dyson, via Flickr]

Earlier, Assange had stated, using twitter, "We were warned to expect "dirty tricks". Now we have the first one," with a link to an article in the Swedish Tabloid, Expressen, reporting the alleged two rapes.

Assange has already released tens of thousands of secret emails from the military and diplomatic sources, and he has promised to release15,000 more, in spite of the military's asking him not to.

Rob Kall is executive editor, publisher and website architect of OpEdNews.com, Host of the Rob Kall Bottom Up Radio Show (WNJC 1360 AM), and publisher of Storycon.org, President of Futurehealth, Inc, and an inventor . He is also published regularly on the Huffingtonpost.com

Listen to over 200 of Rob's Podcast interviews here.

Rob is, with Opednews.com the first media winner of the Pillar Award for supporting Whistleblowers and the first amendment.

With his experience as architect and founder of a technorati top 100 blog, he is also a new media / social media consultant and trainer for corporations, non-profits, entrepreneurs and authors.

Rob is a frequent Speaker on the bottom-up revolution, politics, The art, science and power of story, heroes and the hero's journey and Positive Psychology. He is a campaign consultant specializing in tapping the power of stories for issue positioning, stump speeches and debates, and optimizing tapping the power of new media. Watch me speaking on Bottom up economics at the Occupy G8 Economic Summit, here.

See more Rob Kall articles here and, older ones, here.

To learn more about Rob and OpEdNews.com, check out A Voice For Truth - ROB KALL | OM Times Magazine and this article. For Rob's work in non-political realms mostly before 2000, see his C.V..

And here's a one hour radio interview where I was a guest- on Envision This, on 10/23/13. And here is the transcript.

And Rob's quotes are here.

To watch me on youtube, having a lively conversation with John Conyers, former Chair of the House Judiciary committee, click here Now, wouldn't you like to see me on the political news shows, representing progressives. If so, tell your favorite shows to bring me on and refer them to this youtube video.

Rob's radio show, The Rob Kall Bottom Up Radio Show, runs 9-10 PM EST Wednesday evenings, on AM 1360, WNJC and is archived at www.opednews.com/podcasts Or listen to it streaming, live at www.wnjc1360.com

Rob also hosted a health/mind/body/heart/spirit radio show-- the Rob Kall Futurehealth radio show. Check out podcasts from it at futurehealth.org/podcasts

A few declarations.

-My articles express my personal opinion, not the opinion of this website.

Press coverage in the Wall Street Journal: Party's Left Pushes for a Seat at the Table

A Conspiracy Conspiracy Theory

Terrifying Video: "I Don't Need a Warrant, Ma'am, Under Federal Law"

Cindy Sheehan Bugged in Denver

Ray McGovern Discusses Brutal Arrest at Secretary Clinton's Internet Freedom Speech

Libertarian Legacy? Ron Paul's Campaign Manager, 49, Dies Uninsured, Of Pneumonia, Leaving family $400,000 Debt

Interview: McCain Fellow Hanoi Hilton POW & Naval Academy Dorm-mate; Why He Won't Vote For McCain

Comments

Like he said, he expected dirty tricks. The world'... by Rob Kall on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 12:17:45 PM
I'm not a believer but I'll say Amen to that!... by Marika on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 12:21:12 PM
This was just a little "warning" from the powers i... by Charlie L on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 12:47:44 PM
And perhaps David Kelly the British scientist.... by Marika on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:54:02 PM
whistleblowers. Naturally, the corporate "news" me... by Mark Adams on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:03:11 PM
NFO, when I was not being their compliant, 'do-jus... by Ned Lud on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:18:45 PM
I will reiterate: I asked a professional lawyer, f... by Ned Lud on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:26:13 PM
Your story and 1000's like it are what has, and is... by Dakotahgeo on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:33:06 PM
It is up to those that are violated to tell their ... by bradysbeau on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 8:20:58 PM
Wasn't he actually charged by that system and char... by BFalcon on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:43:42 PM
I said to myself, "Someone in U.S. Intelligence ha... by Richard Girard on Monday, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:35:32 PM
It seems the CIA are using tactics from their dirt... by Michael Shaw on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:41:10 PM
I"m sure the US is doing what it can to drag him h... by Rob Kall on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:54:58 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the CIA called in a few... by Michael Shaw on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:20:02 PM
Wow, now that's far fetched, eh? The fact that he'... by FrankieC on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 2:20:53 PM
I'm missing something. Have you been drinking FC? ... by cb on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 2:53:31 PM
Aren't you a "little" lost? Pro government is all... by Dakotahgeo on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 3:15:33 PM
The Swedish prosecutor obviously doesn't get how t... by phidipidese on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 2:59:39 PM
top of how the "justice" system works in Amerika n... by Mark Adams on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 6:05:49 PM
What amuses me is that the rest of the World knows... by greg timmons on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 3:16:24 PM
Done! Thanks!... by Dakotahgeo on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 3:51:16 PM
Please pass this link on to others who feel as you... by greg timmons on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:41:09 PM
Is Sweden getting as crazy as the U.S.? The sex of... by patricia win on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 3:37:21 PM
Wikileaks is getting a lot of publicity, isn't it?... by Jim Gawthrop on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 3:59:04 PM
There is a distinct possibility we're being gamed,... by phidipidese on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 6:05:54 PM
What amuses me is that the rest of the World knows... by greg timmons on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:15:56 PM
I think this low-ball crude attempt to shut Assang... by Peter Duveen on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 7:23:01 PM
Here is what William Engdahl says about Wikileaks ... by aberamsay on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 8:06:38 PM
I do believe it...TY aberamsay Well Said... by bradysbeau on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 9:51:13 PM
Sorry, but you've thrown up a huge cloud of conspi... by Rob Kall on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:52:33 PM
why is the government and military in such a tizzy... by Dakotahgeo on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:06:58 PM
Dakotahgeo,Don't let the bastards fool you. If the... by aberamsay on Sunday, Aug 22, 2010 at 4:13:11 PM
Let me add Michael Moore to the list of sonsofbitc... by aberamsay on Sunday, Aug 22, 2010 at 3:39:00 PM
A conspiracy is possible. Looking at the evidence,... by phidipidese on Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:34:20 PM
No JD. I've got standards (big grin)Reading your r... by phidipidese on Sunday, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:45:10 AM
I was trying to reply to Mark Adams reply to my ea... by phidipidese on Sunday, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:49:12 AM
I don't believe the charges. Julian, I know a nice... by Betsy Russ on Sunday, Aug 22, 2010 at 2:24:56 PM
My guess is that many progressives will assume the... by Recce1 on Thursday, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:23:22 PM