Stealth Trade Agreement Secret Negotiations
TPP is an assault on personal freedoms.
by Stephen Lendman
Two other articles address the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). They discuss what the companion article to this one calls a trade deal from hell.
Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch says it's a "Corporate Power Tool of the 1%." Secret negotiations plan:
- offshoring millions more US jobs to low wage countries;
- freeing giant banking crooks entirely from oversight;
- banning "Buy America" policies in deference to global marketplace mandates;
- decreasing access to medicines and making prescription drugs less affordable;
- infesting America with toxic foods and other harmful products; and
- destroying fast eroding environmental and health safeguards.
In many respects, TPP represents a death sentence for fundamental human rights, environmental protections, employment prospects, and constitutional freedoms. Nonetheless, it's being secretly discussed in multiple negotiating rounds.
Obama officials push it. They're pressuring negotiating nations to accept Washington diktats. They urge others to join those currently involved.
Twelve negotiating rounds were held. From July 2 - 10, San Diego is hosting round 13. US Trade Representative (USTR) Ron Kirk held a July 2 Direct Stakeholder Engagement.
He's part of the problem, not the solution. Tech Dirt.com says he "continues to insult the intelligence of the Senate."
Senator Ron Wyden (D. OR) questioned him about lack of transparency. Most congressional representatives have no access to TPP documents. At the same time, corporate officials on government advisory boards and selected business friendly NGOs are kept fully informed.