So About This Who Duck Dynasty Shenanigans...

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (more...) ; , Add Tags  (less...) Add to My Group(s)

Funny 2   Well Said 1   Supported 1

opednews.com Headlined to H4 12/31/13

Until very recently, I have been happy to know as little about Duck Dynasty as humanly possible. I still could not care less about this show, but recently it has come to my attention that, not only is this one of the most popular shows on television at the moment, but that apparently people are surprised one of the characters would say something racist and homophobic in an interview.

Yeah, I can't image this guy being sexist, racist or homophobic at all...
(image by Huffington Post)
  DMCA

Here's why I don't care what this guy has to say about gay rights or what  Jim Crow was like for people of color:

First of all, he is not a person of color so his opinions on the POC experience during Jim Crow are moot (albeit, still dangerous). He is also not gay -- he can disapprove of Queerness all he wants and, as it happens, nobody will stop being Queer because of it. Mostly though, and I'd like to emphasize this, the Phil Robertson in this picture is not real. No, seriously, this is a character created for the soul purpose of boosting A&E's ratings and for perpetuating the stereotypes associated with "backwoods rednecks." In reality, Robertson holds a master's degree in education from Louisiana Tech. This man is a multi-millionaire who can do whatever he wants and, what he wants to do is build his empire by marketing to an audience that can relate to this image right here.

Does this make his comments less dangerous and offensive?

Absolutely not, don't be ridiculous. Robertson very well may even believe the ignorance that he has been spouting during and since the original GQ interview. And to his credit, his argument was just as eloquent as can be -- just read this and tell me it doesn't forever change your mind about "the gays"

"It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus," Robertson told GQ. "That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

It's like poetry, that. I mean, obviously, "there's more there" just says it all. Really, why would a man want to be with another man when women have more holes? That's just basic math, right there. Notice, by the way, that he doesn't seem to care so much about lesbians. I suppose they never really do. Robertson has gone beyond that, however, apparently vowing to not shut up until this publicity stunt has reached its full potential.

These comments are dangerous and they are offensive, but frankly, I just wish people would stop giving Robertson so much attention for them. I took pride in knowing nothing about Duck Dynasty and still do not care enough to work harder than I must to understand the situation. Basically, a stereotype said some stereotypical things for attention and the media has obliged. Good job, media.

PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING

A recent graduate from Flagler College, Jesse Ruth has been working as a freelance writer since April, 2013. Jesse is a GLBTQ activist who identifies as genderqueer or agender and prefers (more...)

Macklemore: Can You Stop Taking Up Space?

David Brooks, You Are a Silly Man

So About This Who Duck Dynasty Shenanigans...

Queer Action 2014: Let's Stop Depending on Politicians and the HRC

What Does the Municipal Equality Index Really Say?

Comments

So who all is surprised? The christian religion ha... by Bill Johnson on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:16:09 PM
I didn't know much about the guy but some friends ... by Beverly Wittmer on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013 at 3:27:15 PM
"Dangerous? I don't feel threatened by anything he... by J. Edward Tremlett on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:56:57 PM
Again, there is nothing dangerous in what he said.... by Bill Johnson on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013 at 7:57:41 PM
Robertson's statements are not "opinions". They ar... by Rev. Dan Vojir on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 1:20:38 AM
"The responsibility for violence rests not so much... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 11:19:21 AM
Repeat of something I said elsewhere: in cases whe... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:30:01 PM
This goes way, way beyond his statements to GQ, BJ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 9:19:41 AM
I admit it is a bit paradoxical that I should comp... by Jesse Ruth on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013 at 6:49:25 PM
1)Phil did not encourage anyone to demonize homose... by Bill Johnson on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013 at 8:15:43 PM
Let me illustrate my final point above about how l... by Bill Johnson on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013 at 9:03:45 PM
Voice your opinion all you want, dude, but hate sp... by Jesse Ruth on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:57:26 AM
Robertson can have his opinions, but I can have mi... by Jesse Ruth on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:57:51 AM
If you would have understood my comparison it went... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 10:59:50 AM
Oh BJ... you wacky person, you. "In this article a... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:12:07 PM
Oh BJ... you wacky person, you. "In this article a... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:13:06 PM
"How dare any of you try and shut Phil Robertson u... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:16:37 PM
I personally hope Phil never shuts up.  Ever... by Judy Swindler on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 9:36:07 PM
"Race relations need to brought out into the light... by Jesse Ruth on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 8:58:06 AM
Better be careful there, Jessica. Trayvon Martin/G... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 9:22:23 AM
I am suggesting that we as a society try and preve... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 11:06:08 AM
"I am suggesting that we as a society try and prev... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:39:20 PM
Personal attacks, name calling, slander, etc are a... by Bill Johnson on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 9:19:02 PM
It's only slander if it's not true :)What do I kno... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 9:57:48 PM
When public figures like Phil go on television and... by Judy Swindler on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 9:42:17 PM
Probably the same way most of us feel when she def... by J. Edward Tremlett on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:52:38 PM
How peculiar that you say something that makes no ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 9:23:29 AM
I don't see how that is in any way relevant to the... by Jesse Ruth on Tuesday, Dec 31, 2013 at 6:19:18 PM
Would they?  Because I honestly cannot see th... by Jesse Ruth on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 7:01:14 AM
Yeah, that was an insensitive moment for which Mel... by Jesse Ruth on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 10:40:14 AM
"and you know it"So prove it, Mac. ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Wednesday, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:41:43 PM
People on FOX say things like that and worse prett... by Jesse Ruth on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:21:48 PM
I could, but I won't.  I'm getting really tir... by Jesse Ruth on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 6:31:39 PM
Here's some for you to chew on. Merry Christmas! ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:09:32 PM
I'm not sure what Mac Ford's point was regarding ... by Natalie Oberman on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 12:14:15 AM
Natalie, how do you feel about radical terrorist m... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:19:29 AM
Who the people you defend on a regular basis? ... by Bill Johnson on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 4:26:18 PM
Wrong on both counts, BJ. Nice attempt at a cheap ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:26:23 PM
continuing...... So each side's bible justifie... by Natalie Oberman on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 12:24:33 AM
You guys have got to get more creative.  I wi... by Jesse Ruth on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:49:47 PM
* If you don't know what logical fallacies are or... by Jesse Ruth on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:51:26 PM
No, what she's saying is that if you're going to a... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:07:20 PM
Well, you happen to be making the most noise on th... by J. Edward Tremlett on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 8:47:09 AM
I never run out of ideas. I just get bored of deb... by Bill Johnson on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:59:51 AM
"90% of all of the humans on this planet are heter... by Jesse Ruth on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 12:34:28 PM
No its not. I googled it just to be sure. Orig... by Bill Johnson on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:50:27 PM
BJ, you write this: "I never run out of ideas. I j... by J. Edward Tremlett on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 5:39:00 PM
Now that we've got the observation out of the way,... by J. Edward Tremlett on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 5:41:29 PM
I knew you would take the bait. Behavior is a cho... by Bill Johnson on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:17:04 PM
"Bait?" It's not hard to imagine I'd tell the trut... by J. Edward Tremlett on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:28:23 PM
LMAO! It might be a sliding scale for you between... by Bill Johnson on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 8:00:51 AM
And:"Behavior is a choice... Why do you deny the p... by J. Edward Tremlett on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:33:43 PM
You said: "But we're not talking about murder. We... by Bill Johnson on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 8:10:33 AM
ET said "You can either accept that or discount i... by Bill Johnson on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 8:55:42 AM
Are all homosexuals pedophiles because a few are?&... by Jesse Ruth on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 1:44:02 PM
BJ's having enough problems accepting a two-dimens... by J. Edward Tremlett on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 6:26:19 PM
Heheh it's just a philosophical cherry bomb to thr... by Jesse Ruth on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 7:21:00 PM
Also, I think a debate about anything, but sexuali... by Jesse Ruth on Sunday, Jan 5, 2014 at 1:32:11 AM
So, just to be clear:* I bring up philosophical po... by J. Edward Tremlett on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 6:29:07 PM
Mac Ford, Forgive me, I gave you a thumbs up "+" b... by Mark Ropel on Friday, Jan 3, 2014 at 7:08:43 PM
I think the mod did that on his or her own recogni... by J. Edward Tremlett on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 7:40:35 AM
What I want to know is, did Phil get his job back... by Judy Swindler on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 12:02:31 PM
Long after.  That's an old video that has bee... by Jesse Ruth on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 1:48:00 PM
I wonder if these men on the show, college educat... by Judy Swindler on Saturday, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:51:08 PM
Whoever's been doing all this 'flagging', I'm afr... by Natalie Oberman on Monday, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:11:40 AM
Oh yes, the old "you do it worse than I do" canard... by J. Edward Tremlett on Monday, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:25:40 AM
This is not so binary an issue as "right" and "lef... by Jesse Ruth on Monday, Jan 6, 2014 at 1:10:21 PM
" ANY oppressive or discriminatory speech.  ... by Natalie Oberman on Tuesday, Jan 7, 2014 at 12:49:46 AM
I don't like any organization that claims to care... by Jesse Ruth on Tuesday, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:23:26 AM
Actually, I only flagged your first comment for de... by Jesse Ruth on Tuesday, Jan 7, 2014 at 3:26:50 AM