ROCKY FOR PRESIDENT
"It should be no surprise that when rich men take control of the government, they pass laws that are favorable to themselves. The surprise is that those who are not rich vote for such people, even though they should know from bitter experience that the rich will continue to rip off the rest of us ." Andrew Greeley (Chicago Sun-Times, February 18, 2001)
I first met Rocky Anderson when came to Washington State to testify in the Legislature in support of a Joint Memorial to investigate President Bush and Vice President Cheney for war crimes; crimes that they had publicly confessed to. As the Democratic Mayor of Salt Lake City, he was the only US Mayor to speak out against the illegal invasion of Iraq, torture, and the betrayal of the American people.
Named one of the top lawyers in the US and an award winning civil rights activist, he was eminently qualified to speak.
Later we shared with Rocky our deep disappointment in the Democratic Party. Their lack of response to Constitutional crises was incomprehensible. Two Democratic members of Congress rushed home to try and shut down the day's hearings. Other party loyalists attempted to undermine popular support for accountability. Rocky's response was simple and to the point. 'We need a new Democratic Party'.
Never one to stand silent, Rocky publicly criticized the Democratic Party. Finally he broke with them. "The Constitution has been eviscerated while the Democrats have stood by with nary a whimper. It is a gutless, unprincipled party, bought and paid for by the same interest that buy and pay for the Republican Party."
Believing voters needed was a real choice Rocky helped found the Justice Party. A party that seeks economic justice, social and civic justice and environmental justice.
No need to ask what Rocky stands for. It's in his record.
- He is the Award winning Founder and Executive Director of The High Road for Human Rights. A grassroots organization that advocates against torture, undermining of the rule of law.
- Led a fully fledged affirmative action program as Mayor, significantly increasing minority hiring and promotions.
- Instituted Restorative Justice; a program that focuses on the needs of the victims and the community with an emphasis on reparations rather than punishment.
- Replaced DARE with effective drug prevention programs and created after school and youth programs.
- Named one of the top 10 straight advocates for LGBT rights.
- Dramatically reduced air pollution, doubled recycling capacity, expanded light rail and open spaces and became a global voice for climate change awareness.
- Led a nationwide fight to increase airport security by screening luggage.
- Voted one of the top 20 environmental advocates worldwide.
- Promoted sustainable business practices through his e2Business program.
1 | 2