Re: Robbery victims assisted by thieves
In the aftermath of Second World War, in a meeting held on 24th October 1945 in San Francisco, the Charter of United Nations Organization was finalized and countries liberated from the AXIS Forces were named "Occupied Enemy Territories" and they were recognized as existing countries. In the line with the UN Charter, Somalia was placed under UN Trusteeship and again on 21 November 1949 UN finalized the draft constitution for the Trusteeship with Italy as administering authority. Since 21st November 1949 all governments and international organizations recognize Somalia as existing country. Nowadays there is confusion among Somali people about the notion of "State recognition and Administration recognition". Over 63 years USA recognized Somalia as sovereign State but recently recognized the current administration.
Let me raise a very important question about the current issue. What benefit Somali people can get from recent administration recognition? Since the only remaining super power recognized the new Somali Government, other countries may extend aid to Somalia and ease indirect sanctions that US imposed on Somalia after Blackhawk down fight on 3rd October 1993. The US recent diplomatic demarche has triggered widespread jubilation from the Somali community, believing and hopeful chanting that if US recognizes our government the sky will rain gold and diamond. This expectation is a daydream with nightmare. Dear brothers and sisters don't expect too much aid from Washington and please glance back the history lines and long diplomatic relations between USA and Somalia:
- 01/04/1950 UN established in Somalia Trusteeship, under Italian administration. Known as "AFIS".
- Mid 1950 USA opened liaison office as Consulate in Mogadishu.
- Late 1950 Trusteeship administration granted drilling concessions to two American oil corporation: "Sinclair and Rogers".
- From 1950-2013, except ambiguous Peace Corps agenda in 1960s and yellow maize dumping, plus millions of dollars channeled through the UN agencies, the few US-funded useful projects (useful to the public) that ever USA undertook in Somalia are four:
1. Training Teachers Institute known LAFOLE in Afgooye
2. West-wing extension of Kismayo Port
3. Water installation in North Mogadishu known Eel-Arfit Wells
4. Extension farms project in Afgooye
Let us compare 60 years US aid projects to Somalia and 30 years Chinese aid projects to Somalia. Late Chou En-Lai, Prime Minister of Communist China, visited Mogadishu early February 1963. It is worth to mention that, in less than two decades Chinese government built very important projects "useful to public" in Somalia, including:
1. Long tarmac road thath links South and North
2. Fanole Irrigation Project
3. Banaadir Hospital
4. Stadium Mogadishu
5. National Theater
6. Institute for Political and Management studies
7. Hargeysa Water installation known as Geed-deebleh Wells and etc.