Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 1 (1 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats   91 comments

Revisionist History and False Bravado

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

opednews.com Headlined to H2 12/23/08

December 22, 2008

Enough already. Enough with the whining and belligerent pseudo-progressives claiming that Barack Obama somehow owes them something. Enough with the false notions that he was only elected because of their desires to turn an uber-conservative country into an uber-liberal one. With every cabinet selection Obama is vilified by people who seem to think that they are somehow owed something from the President-Elect. When Emanuel was named Chief-of Staff they said that it was politics as usual. When Hillary was named Secretary of State they asked where is the change they voted for. When Rick Warren was named to give the invocation at the Inaugural Address they cried, “Traitor!”

Then you read article after article, and comment after comment deriding anyone who has the temerity to point out the obvious; that their premise of logic is simply flawed. Let us remember how we got to this point. For starters, Barack Obama was elected with 66,882,230 votes. Those votes were not all progressives or even would be progressives. They were not all liberal voters either. He had a wide base of support from all over America. He had conservatives vote for him. He had liberals vote for him. He had red states go for him as well as blue states. He had gays vote for him as well as evangelicals. No one owns Obama from a voting block perspective and to claim otherwise is simply ridiculous. More importantly, Obama does not owe anything to any one voting block either. He ran a campaign based on uniting all Americans, not just those who share the exact same ideas that you or I might have.

Secondly, Barack Obama did not run a campaign based upon excluding anyone once he was elected. He did not promise the gay community he would never have any discourse with evangelicals. He did not promise progressives that he would not deal with any conservatives. He understands that the politics of divisiveness we have had to endure for the past eight years does not work, regardless of who is doing the dividing. He is facing a country in chaos economically, which is only going to get worse. He will not be able to accomplish anything without some support from the other side and he is smart enough politically to realize that.

Thirdly, let’s dispel the silly threats too. I have seen commenter after commenter threaten that Obama better do this or he better do that, or else. Please. Or else what? In 2012 you will vote for Cynthia McKinney again? The truth is that Obama got sixty-six million votes because he was not Bush or McCain and because he ran on a platform of change. That change he promised was a change over the politics of divisiveness not for more dividing. If you continue to be so disappointed by what he has done, before he even steps foot in office, then stop crying and start making your Nader 2012 signs up now.

I am not speaking about reasonable dissent, disagreement, or even disappointment. I can understand the disappointment from the gay community over the Warren selection. I completely understand the disagreement. But to take that and somehow turn it into Obama “turning his back on the gay community” is simply ridiculous. To further state that this somehow is him reneging on what he ran on, is to simply exaggerate at best. I can understand that some may dissent to the Hillary selection, heck I wasn’t thrilled with it. But to claim the heavens are falling over it and Obama has turned his back on his mantra of change is blatantly unfair. It’s almost as if they expected Obama to name a cabinet full of Joe the Plumbers.  The next four years are tenuous at best. There is so much damage to be undone and Obama cannot possibly undo it all. We need to start tempering our expectations and demands. If he can start to reverse all of the Bush era abuses and manage us through the recession that would be a good start. If he can work on repealing HAVA, close Gitmo, and maybe reverse some of the changes to the bankruptcy laws that would be a good start. If he can reverse some of the media deregulation and return some transparency to government – that would be a good start. If he can bring our kids home alive and return some of our credibility to the world; that would be a good start. And if at the end of the first four years he manages to get half of this done; are you really going to tell me that you will care one iota who gave the invocation at his Inaugural Address?

I have never had blinders on about Obama. He is part of the machine as much as Hillary and McCain were. He found himself at the crossroads in American history; the perfect storm really of governmental abuses and an economic disaster. I believe he can do some good however. Do I think he is a progressive? Nope. Was he more progressive than John McCain? You betchya. Would I like to see him pursue prosecutions against anyone who broke the law within the Bush Administration? Sure, but I am not delusional enough to think he will. My hope for change is tempered by the reality of who Obama is. A smart politician who I pray can start to unravel the intricate web of corruption and constitutional subversion that was the last eight years.

So dissent, disagree, and be disappointed if you must. But spare us the histrionics, revisionist history and false bravado. Stop claiming it was you who put Obama in the White House. Stop pretending that he owes you something and if he does not deliver then look out! We do need to hold Obama accountable as much as we have Bush. We need to make sure that he does follow through on the real promises he did make while campaigning. But we need to do this within a framework of reality. Don’t worry; if he disappoints you so much I am sure Palin can count on your vote in 2012.

Anthony Wade, a contributing writer to opednews.com, is dedicated to educating the populace to the lies and abuses of the government. He is a 46-year-old independent writer from New York with political commentary articles seen on multiple (more...)

Preparing the Cover Story for the Theft of the Election

Sarah Palin, A Wolf in Moose Clothing

Hate and Hypocrisy Pays Well – The Rush Limbaugh Payoff

Birth of the Red-Letter Christian Movement

First They Came For the Soda"

Why, As a born again Christian, I cannot morally vote for John McCain

Comments

My god, You contradict yourself with every other w... by robert braunstein on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:55:28 AM
You are correct, I do not own reality, but that do... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:40:11 PM
You have written an insightful article.  It i... by WML on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:06:30 PM
You might be right, I am wont to react too quickly... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:35:05 PM
http://www.nwolibrary.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 8:11:27 PM
I beg to differ.  He came to power on a promi... by Mark Sashine on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:54:56 AM
I could not agree more Anthony. I also think it is... by E. Nelson on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:35:12 AM
I am glad that someone read the entire article and... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:46:55 PM
I was promised a government of, by, and for the pe... by James Hovland on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:46:16 PM
I agree with you. This article agreed with you. He... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:50:59 PM
I understand your point and your frustration, and ... by James Hovland on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:26:49 PM
Thank you for taking the time and commenting.... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:01:24 AM
Obama is a political bureaucrat just like Carter o... by John Hanks on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:35:11 AM
I have some hope. I think he can do good, much bet... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:47:51 PM
I’m fascinated by the irony, Mr. Wade. You a... by Jim Arnold on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:25:42 AM
Jim you said, "Plenty of peace activists act... by E. Nelson on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:41:25 AM
I didn't say "pacifist." Wesley Clar... by Jim Arnold on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:58:12 AM
I misread your post and thought you said Pacifist.... by E. Nelson on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 2:16:12 PM
I have plenty of concerns about Obama, no doubt. h... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:50:42 PM
You nailed it!  I am still fairly new to this sit... by Mary Davis on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:36:51 AM
I agree, there are alot of people berating with no... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:52:06 PM
"To protest of the evil or corruption of a th... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 5:59:40 PM
 great visual ! In fact, I think Mr M should ... by jersey girl on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 7:56:55 PM
Well said, sir.  Your critics just prove your... by James Brett on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:49:39 AM
AMEN to Mary's AMEN.  I am unable to tell... by John Hargrove on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:55:49 AM
     Frustrating for me i... by mikel paul on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:14:54 PM
If you read the article, you will see that I call ... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:55:01 PM
Not sure where, in the definition of Public Servan... by steve scheetz on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:49:57 PM
he owes us to do the best job he can and serve the... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:56:50 PM
I voted for Obama because he was willing to talk t... by James Hovland on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:31:43 AM
and saying so i our responsibility. Saying however... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:59:24 AM
Although I don't agree with many of Obamas pic... by Sharon Roach on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:18:44 PM
Corporate Bailout Giving, No To Impeachment Democr... by Michael Cavlan on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:43:05 PM
blah blah blahI called for impeachment back during... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:58:53 PM
 "I just live in reality and know that i... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 12:21:27 AM
While I consider myself a liberal on the basis tha... by tabonsell on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 2:33:49 PM
I am sooooo looking forward to an intelligent pres... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:59:57 PM
 It is comical to listen to al these defender... by robert braunstein on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:42:31 PM
You must have something sticky in your keyboard, y... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:01:22 PM
To all who commented especially those who actually... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:04:08 PM
Wade's article tells Obama critics to shut up.... by Richard Mynick on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:04:38 PM
 hit a good part of the nail on the head.&nbs... by richard on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 5:27:04 PM
Neither of you is likely going to own your house a... by pft on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:17:55 PM
of course I knew the  house is irrelevant ...... by richard on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:45:03 PM
Make sure you don't get chipped first, and kno... by pft on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:37:23 AM
What would you consider substantive that yiou ... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:39:17 PM
He will change nothing of substance, and that will... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 12:39:16 AM
Seeing all that is wrong what solutions do you pro... by Sharon Roach on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:50:11 PM
There is only one solution: Demand a return to leg... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 2:26:32 AM
The ancient Sun Tzu is more relevant today; althou... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 4:59:22 PM
I posted this this morning before you posted "... by GLloyd Rowsey on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 5:42:29 PM
we weren't hippies ... we were student radical... by richard on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:48:54 PM
My Diary: "Barak Obama - Centrist Enough to M... by GLloyd Rowsey on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 7:03:59 AM
We assume we really have a choice. We don't. O... by Mr M on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:45:40 PM
As I know you know... they have no clue regarding ... by richard on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:38:28 PM
You really think their children will survive long ... by Mr M on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 8:02:17 PM
First of all, I actually wrote extensively for Pau... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:43:40 PM
... a superior position, as though your reality si... by Mr M on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:18:45 AM
I do think that the cover story is bunk. I have re... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:14:19 AM
You are an expert as to what is wrong with the wor... by Sharon Roach on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:47:40 PM
He doesn't have any solutions. Just complaints... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:49:03 PM
.."bizarre commentary"...LolAnthony, you... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 2:42:03 AM
We are simply pointing out the obvious. I don'... by richard on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:06:51 PM
None of us are trying to 'discourage'... w... by Sharon Roach on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:35:54 PM
when are you gonna get off your arrogant complacen... by richard on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:15:47 PM
... enough with the courage to follow it through. ... by Mr M on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:48:03 AM
  Why is liberty essential? Because without l... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 12:58:54 AM
Thanks for the spelling lesson. I Bet you won... by robert braunstein on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:22:21 PM
You see when you take portions of an article witho... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:46:13 PM
Christian progressive. Does that mean you had the ... by robert braunstein on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:46:54 PM
Considering I define Christian Progressive right i... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 10:47:42 PM
The comments on this article are direct evidence w... by Sharon Roach on Tuesday, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:20:09 PM
Well said!!!... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:18:00 AM
A central metaphor occurred to me, "The Inter... by GLloyd Rowsey on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 9:20:57 AM
My expectations for Obama have been very modest ev... by Perry Logan on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 5:33:32 AM
You had me right up to the misuse of the word bigo... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:19:24 AM
  Your assumption is that people don't re... by robert braunstein on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 6:47:44 AM
Your assumption is that people don't read what... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:55:15 AM
I appreciate your explaining what you are trying t... by robert braunstein on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:09:02 AM
I feel i try to respond to everyone, not just thos... by Reverend Anthony Wade on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:19:42 AM
Obama did say that he was going to wack the "... by John Bessa on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:53:55 PM
Obama did say that he was going to wack the "... by John Bessa on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:54:20 PM
But my take is that socialism has never been tried... by GLloyd Rowsey on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 8:19:23 AM
OK, now I see your comment!!I take that back -- Tr... by John Bessa on Friday, Dec 26, 2008 at 4:03:28 PM
Why don't you define the word "bigot" for the rest... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 1:07:19 AM
Anthony, I gather from several of your comments th... by jersey girl on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 4:45:09 PM
Jersey...you do have a knack!... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 5:10:36 PM
and may I say, back atcha :)  However,  ... by jersey girl on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 6:45:12 PM
http://www.nwolibrary.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=... by William Whitten on Thursday, Dec 25, 2008 at 9:20:28 PM
you wrote: In my opinion the jury of archaeologist... by John Bessa on Friday, Dec 26, 2008 at 4:10:42 PM
But you wrote: "For humans to have succe... by GLloyd Rowsey on Friday, Dec 26, 2008 at 8:21:59 PM