Add this Page to Facebook!   Submit to Twitter   Submit to Reddit   Submit to Stumble Upon   Pin It!   Fark It!   Tell A Friend
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite Save As Favorite View Article Stats
80 comments

President-Elect Obama,You Must NOT Be Silent!

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 2   Well Said 1   Supported 1

Headlined to H1 1/4/09

I don't believe in god. I never have. I don't believe in religions. I study them, but I don't practice them. I try to understand them to be sensitive to the beliefs and traditions of others, and to attempt to appreciate the motivations behind religious thought and deed. But they are irrelevant to living my life. Long ago as a freshman at CUNY's Queens College I was introduced to Taoism. Taoism began in ancient China as a religion, then morphed into a dogma free/deity free philosophy. Since my late teens I've tried hard to apply MY understanding of my Tao to my life. I have the freedom to choose my own path and not judge the paths of others. But since I have freedom of opinion, I fall prey to judge. I try not to. But I do. Through the Tao, I'm both a peacemaker and a warrior since Taoism couples with the art of self-defense. I understand my right to protect myself when needed, and to protect the defenseless when they need me. Since I'm by nature protective, it suits my sensibilities to aid the weak, where I fancy myself absurdly as inordinately strong. Being a perplexed, tireless, and to reiterate, godless observer of our human condition, I've long believed my species, the human species, has gone terribly awry. Unending war, genocides, needless starvation and disease, rapes of women and children, human slavery, abuse of animals, unfettered greed, and seemingly endless but preventable atrocities painfully validate my supposition. Some believers in a god may say that this is god's plan. But since I'm godless, I see it more as misguided human folly (there I go judging again) predicated on discriminatory racial and/or theological prejudices presuming that one's race is superior to another, one's god is superior to another, one's religion is superior to another, and one's justice is more just than another. Regrettably, rather than using our aggregate knowledge acquired through the millennia to improve our human-kind, replenish our planet, enhance our health, and expand our love, those believers to whom we've granted governance have moved us steadily toward our decline. Yet again, there are those who may call this god's plan. This leads me to my most current perplexing and all encompassing grief as I watch the overwhelming military destruction of Palestine and the killing of a hundred times more Palestinians than Israelis. First off, I don't care at all about derivations like Christians, Muslims and Jews. I don't care at all about dedicated boundaries. I don't care at all about the Bible, the Koran and the Torah. I ONLY care about the children and the innocent lives tossed to the rubble because our species has failed to rise to its potential. All that is different today from a thousand years ago is that bows have morphed to rockets and arrows have morphed to bombs. Warmongers may have fashioned more efficient ways to kill, but they have maintained their inefficient hearts and minds. All war is failure. And as difficult as this will be for architects of war to accept, war is not an art. Art builds and invigorates. War destroys and incinerates. By any measure of logic, the two are incompatible. Technology aside, those who mastermind today's ethno-religious wars are as primitively demonic as they were a millennium before - even as recently as 60 and 70 years before - when exterminations were the scourge of a continent and the impetus that sent the whole world to war. Shamefully the words "we shall not forget" have tarnished in value as the golden rule has lost its glow. The fact is, while Mr. Bush, Mr. Olmert, Ms. Livni, Mr. Netanyahu, Ms. Rice, Mr. Cheney, Mr. al-Masri and the rest orchestrate their brutal murders, we will never advance as a species until we accept that ALL WARS ARE FAILURES. When you orchestrate a war that incinerates a child, the death of that child, the blood of that child, the loss of that child, will tarnish you forever. All situations are failures when innocents are harmed. If one child injures another in a sandbox, their play date was a failure. If a police car kills innocents during a pursuit, the pursuit was a failure. If a father burns his house down while attempting to warm it, the attempt was a failure. If children die in war, the war was a failure. Of this, I have not doubt.
dead little girls
On July 31, 2006, I wrote an article opednews with a similar theme during Israel's bombardment of Lebanon. In that article I said:
I do not kill children. I do not condone ANY circumstance that ends the life of a child or brings harm to innocents downed in the cross hairs of adult perversion. There is NO circumstance whatsoever that legitimizes the murder of children. The term "collateral damage" ascribed to dead children or to the shredded bodies of living children is hideous. The rite of passage from childhood to adulthood relinquishes the right to such irresponsibility. The whole process of maturation teaches the protection of children at all costs. Animals, both wild and domestic, abide by these instincts unconditionally. It is the aberrant adult dog who kills a puppy. And on the rare occasion such anomaly occurs, it confounds attendant humans due to the sheer unnaturalness of the act. Our expectation for the compassion of canines transcends like expectations we hold for ourselves. In the current debacle between Israel and Hezbollah, with the mounting deaths of Lebanese children, it is unconscionable for Israel to justify murdering these children by labeling them embeds of Hezbollah. One should convulse in shame at the insidiousness of such a declaration. To publicly declare the right to kill a child using proximity as exoneration of guilt, forfeits any claim to humanity. To willingly betray the life of a child, betrays every principal learned during the "normal" ascendancy from child to adult. To these self-righteous ideologues I say: MAY YOU ENVISION FOR YOUR LIFETIMES THE FACES OF EVERY INFANT AND CHILD YOU HAVE SLAIN FOR YOUR CAUSE! What a pernicious badge of inhumanity you bear.
Applying this same text to the Israel/Palestine war today, we need only to exchange Hamas for Hezbollah and Palestinian for Lebanese. The other egregious difference is that more innocent children are now dead.
little girl in gaza
President-Elect Obama, even before you assume your hallowed office on January 20, 2009, you can be the hero we've been hoping for. You can convert the current office of warmaker-in-chief to that of peacemaker-in-chief. You can do it NOW by speaking out against this war. It's YOUR voice the world wants to hear. George W. Bush is a war criminal, cloaked in the blood of dead children. Sadly, your chief of staff Rahm Emanuel is also cloaked in the blood of dead children. Your former Presidential opponent John McCain is cloaked in the blood of dead children. The Israel lobbying group AIPAC is cloaked in that blood, as is Hamas. Most of the U.S. Congress is cloaked in that blood, as is most of the U.S. Senate. The corporate media is cloaked in that blood as well. It's a despicable club to belong to. It's an alliance of murder. It's time to UN-JOIN. Are YOU, President-elect Obama, in whom so many have placed so much hope, ready to be cloaked in the blood of dead children in Palestine, Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Congo, Somalia and more? If as I hope, President-Elect Obama, you are NOT prepared to bear the responsibility for the deaths, injuries and orphanhood of children as innocent and lovely as your own, then STAND UP NOW! SPEAK OUT NOW! SHOUT OUT NOW and STOP THIS WAR NOW!! President-Elect Obama, in the United States of America there are four living presidents who have come before you. Only President Carter has been heroic enough to speak out on behalf of Palestinians. Are you, President-Elect Obama, ready to be the hero Americans have been waiting for? You're the son of a humanitarian. You're the son of a woman who dedicated her life to bettering our world. Our world isn't made better through war and killing children. Our world is made better through peace. The longer you remain silent, the more children will die. Please show us, President-elect Obama, that YOU WILL NOT BE SILENT! All war is failure. You don't have to fail.

LindaMilazzo.com

Linda Milazzo is a Managing Editor of Opednews, Los Angeles based writer, educator and activist. Since 1974, she has divided her time between the entertainment industry, government organizations, community development projects and educational (more...)

Election Night, DO NOT CONCEDE: Open Letter Signed By Gore Vidal & Others To Senator Obama & The Democratic Leadership

Text Of Barack Obama's Speech To Children For Sept. 8, 2009

President-Elect Obama,You Must NOT Be Silent!

What I Learned At The Sarah Palin Rally Before They Threw Me Out!

Waxman Attacks Winograd On Israel; Ignites A Political Firestorm

Pelosi Gets "Booked" & Confronts Her Own Past

Comments

Suddenly Obama is mute. He weighed in on the Russi... by jersey girl on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 6:51:19 AM
You might as well be praying to those Gods you don... by Mr M on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:35:49 AM
Let they who have ears, hear and let they who have... by Cindy Sheehan on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 1:49:43 PM
... for there are few that have more to say. Your ... by Mr M on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:09:55 PM
very jarring cartoon...but that's what politic... by Cindy Sheehan on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:02:37 PM
In fact,  I felt physically sick watching the... by jersey girl on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:25:04 AM
I think the reason I go to bed before the new year... by Patrick Lafferty on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:23:42 AM
Mr. MAs you know, we are in tune, on the same chan... by William Whitten on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:01:01 PM
... I go outside and talk to the general public, a... by Mr M on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:38:46 PM
First, it is fact that he is not yet in office and... by Dennis Kaiser on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:51:29 AM
precludes me from leaving a productive comment.tha... by Rady Ananda on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:50:49 AM
It says EVERYTHING!!You rock!Linda ... by Linda Milazzo on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:04:30 PM
Israel's current crimes against humanity &... by Richard Mynick on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:02:40 PM
was small compared to the similarities, & that... by Richard Mynick on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 1:18:26 PM
Okay, let me make this as plain as I can.  Ou... by Mr M on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:51:46 PM
positions "that would get right-wingers elect... by Richard Mynick on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 6:32:11 PM
Way to spell it out for the willfully ignorant ! &... by jersey girl on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 6:58:52 PM
Since my initials were mentioned, I'd like to ... by jersey girl on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:19:45 PM
I will gladly accept your compliments to Mr. M, Je... by William Whitten on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:31:53 PM
Richard, absolutely right! Obama and the Democr... by Alan MacDonald on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:42:54 PM
Is Obama's silence a 'Rahm Effect'? Wo... by Aurora on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:19:31 PM
Rahm Emanuel does not have to influence Obama.&nbs... by jersey girl on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:31:21 PM
Rahm Emanuel does not have to influence Obama.&nbs... by Aurora on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:05:10 PM
Rahm Emanuel does not have to influence Obama.&nbs... by jersey girl on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:36:09 PM
However, MY cynicism toward government FORCES me ... by steve scheetz on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:30:34 PM
for as long as possible. But when children die and... by Daniel Geery on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:48:35 PM
Obama's silence and saying "there is only... by Cindy Sheehan on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:52:16 PM
you KNOW my heart is breaking over this.  I k... by Linda Milazzo on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 2:16:51 PM
;(Love you lots...xo ... by Cindy Sheehan on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 2:30:06 PM
Happy ((if possible) New Year to you, Tiff and Ded... by Linda Milazzo on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:19:42 PM
One of my biggest heroes, Eugene V. Debs, said:It&... by Cindy Sheehan on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 2:33:08 PM
I have the Eugene Debbs picture, with that quote i... by Michael Cavlan on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:29:08 PM
We are in a whole shitload of trouble and people h... by Cindy Sheehan on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:10:08 PM
Cindy, your presence here at this time, when parts... by Aurora on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:25:09 AM
You along with Cynthia McKinney are my heroes. Br... by jersey girl on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:44:39 AM
I second your "screw Al Franken"... by jersey girl on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:40:51 AM
Linda,You may not believe in god but you sure can ... by William Whitten on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 6:50:13 PM
If the MSM had covered Obama thoroughly, everybody... by John Olsen on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 1:16:05 PM
It matters not what any president or presiden... by Alan Williams on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 1:18:12 PM
American West, in the 1800's -- even as the se... by Richard Mynick on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 1:31:14 PM
Not a very good analogy.  The American Indian... by Alan Williams on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:48:58 PM
You like simple things. That's certainly under... by Mr M on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:16:29 PM
Here is Ben-Gurion talking to Nahum Goldmann (pres... by Richard Mynick on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 6:51:00 PM
"Not a good analogyNot a very good analogy. &... by William Whitten on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:47:37 PM
The only thing that is Black and White is the noti... by Patrick Lafferty on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:13:08 AM
Alan: "The only people who can change things ... by Elsie Brenner on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:18:36 PM
The best can one do is coming up with the proposed... by Jaff Sassani on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 1:25:45 PM
The US independence or revolutional war.The US Civ... by Brett Paatsch on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:48:25 PM
make one minor edit to your words in your comment:... by Linda Milazzo on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:30:38 PM
You say: "Sometimes others rationally ch... by Brett Paatsch on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:04:09 PM
ALL WARS ARE FAILURES. - I disagree--BrettThis is ... by William Whitten on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:17:04 PM
tell me what I don't know and to diagnose my f... by Brett Paatsch on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:14:26 PM
"tell me what I don't know and to diagnos... by William Whitten on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:36:57 PM
"you only know the surface history, lollipop ... by Brett Paatsch on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:56:02 PM
Well then perhaps you can bring me up to point wit... by William Whitten on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:40:17 PM
for an off topic side discussion with you. Linda h... by Brett Paatsch on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:38:42 PM
The late Israeli statesman Abba Eban defined the P... by Jason Paz on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:01:42 PM
Jason Paz,You haven't the slightest grasp of t... by William Whitten on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:22:48 PM
I'm tickled pink you shared your American wisd... by Jason Paz on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:10:27 AM
For expecting anything close from Obama is a waste... by Patrick Lafferty on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:07:56 PM
Very nice video Patrick! I applaud your work, and ... by William Whitten on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:46:27 PM
... what a piece of art is suppose to do ... it mo... by Mr M on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:09:57 PM
Helloooeee, the Palestinians don't EVEN have a... by shirley reese on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:29:03 PM
Obama has not even been inaugurated yet and alread... by Alan MacDonald on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:16:30 PM
I pray harder for Jews in Israel as I believe the ... by Patrick Lafferty on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:41:31 PM
I pray harder for Jews in Israel as I believe the ... by Patrick Lafferty on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 10:24:02 PM
 Obama should speak up for domestic political... by Jennifer Epps on Sunday, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:48:08 PM
Even though I do believe in a force greater than u... by Cheryl Biren on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:29:20 AM
Positioning Rahm may have been a condition (one o... by jersey girl on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:39:24 AM
let's all hope and pray that Obama was smart e... by Ernest on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:55:17 AM
Dancing with the devil?  He's already sol... by jersey girl on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:39:50 AM
... your own character is. The time for making con... by Mr M on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:54:50 AM
Obama is not "president elect" until aft... by Gallaher on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:37:49 AM
"if this is still a constitutional country of... by William Whitten on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 4:58:46 AM
I haven't seen a constitutional consideration ... by Patrick Lafferty on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:42:24 AM
I fell exactly where I thought I would on the char... by jersey girl on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:28:20 PM
Be careful JG, there are Conservative Statist Gang... by Patrick Lafferty on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:44:03 PM
And I fell on the Libertarian with strong left win... by Michael Cavlan on Tuesday, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:42:55 AM
Hold on Obama is not in office he dose not work in... by Gloretha Gray on Monday, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:25:21 PM
state what his Middle East policy would be right n... by Jack Harrington on Tuesday, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:56:28 PM