Massive Fraud in Haiti's Sham Elections - by Stephen Lendman
On November 28, Haiti held first round legislative and presidential elections, a previous article explaining that democracy was off the ballot, accessed through the following link:
The entire process was rigged, 15 parties excluded, including by far the most popular, Aristide's Fanmi Lavalas. Under the most dire conditions, it was a cruel joke, not even equivalent to what Edward Herman called "demonstration elections" in his 1980 book by that title, sham ones assuring installation of US-friendly candidates, elections in name only.
On November 28, it was worse, so bad, in fact, that world headlines explained it. For example, New York Times writers Damien Cave and Randol Archibold headlined, "Haitian Candidates Call to Void Election," saying:
"Two-thirds of Haiti's presidential candidates said Sunday's election was so tainted by fraud that it should be invalidated, but late in the evening, national election officials ordered the vote to stand, saying that problems at most polling sites had been minor."
They lied. Washington orchestrated the entire process to assure its choices take over, its usual imperial heavy-handedness, this time including ballot box stuffing and other irregularities. Nonetheless, initial results will be known on December 5, officially announced on December 20.
"At an afternoon news conference here, 12 of the 18 candidates still in the race had called on the election council to void the results because of "massive fraud,' which they described as an effort by (Preval's) Unity Party....to stuff ballot boxes and turn away voters who opposed Mr. Preval's chosen candidate, Jude Celestin. The candidates, in an unusual display of unity....urged their partisans to peacefully take to the streets, and many did."
Haiti's US Embassy spokesman said only that it was monitoring the situation. Organization of American States (OAS) observers cancelled a news conference, saying it was gathering information for "our assessment of polling day activities." A UN statement expressed "deep concerns over the numerous incidents that marred the election." Neither Preval or a spokesperson said anything as expected.
On November 30, Al Jazeera said that "The joint observer mission from the Organization of American States/Caribbean Community said that although there had been widespread problems, including acts of violence and intimidation and poor organization blocking many people from voting, this was not enough to doom the polls."
The mission's head, Colin Granderson, said:
"The mission does not believe that these irregularities, serious as some were, necessarily invalidated the process."
Nicole Phillips, observer from the Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti, said at every polling station she visited there were flaws. "Streams of people, dozens and dozens of people were unable to vote because they couldn't find their name on an electoral list."
In Acul du Nord and Trou du Nord, two northern towns near Cap-Haitien, voting was cancelled after people fired gunshots in the air and trashed one voting station. A Port-au-Prince one was also ransacked.
Financial Times writer Benedict Mander headlined, "Haiti poll denounced as 'massive fraud,' " saying:
"Allegations of 'massive fraud' (challenged) the legitimacy of a government that will have to rebuild a country decimated by an earthquake in January," and is now dealing with a cholera epidemic ravaging the country.