Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook 2 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest 1 Share on Fark! 1 Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 6 (10 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats   38 comments

Koch Brothers Capitalism

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 4   Well Said 4   Valuable 2

opednews.com Headlined to H4 3/13/14

This phrase came to me a few days ago. I thought it had some rhetorical potential, and I offer it here for anyone's use.

"Koch Brothers Capitalism," by labeling a kind of capitalism, implies that there are other kinds of capitalism. And that means that capitalism doesn't have to take the destructive form people like the Koch Brothers are giving it.

The Koch Brothers name quickly conjures up the monstrous nature of what too much of American capitalism has become in our time:

1)It is insatiable for wealth, as these billionaires show themselves to be with their relentless quest to prevent this nation from responding to the challenge of climate change, sacrificing our children's future for more profits for themselves and the rest of the world's richest industries.

2) It works relentlessly to demolish our democracy, turning it instead into a plutocracy, working to translate the widening gap in wealth between the super-rich and the rest into a corresponding gap in political power.

3) Koch Brothers Capitalism has no concern for the greater good, its relentless drive for wealth and power being an expression of unbridled selfishness.

4) It's political conduct debases our national discourse, subverting rational deliberation with its reliance on manipulating the public with lies and disinformation.

This kind of capitalism deserves a name that reeks upon the very mention of it. And the Koch Brothers provide that stench.

Down with Koch Brothers Capitalism, I say. And let's have the kind of capitalism that is willing to be structured so that it contributes to a healthy society rather than destroys it.

**********************

Andy Schmookler is now launching a campaign to change the national conversation. The campaign has the motto: "See the Evil. Call it Out. Press the Battle."

Andy Schmookler, an award-winning author, political commentator, radio talk-show host, and teacher, was the Democratic nominee for Congress from Virginia's 6th District. He is the author of various books including The Parable of the Tribes: The (more...)

Why Do Conservatives Like Colbert? Article Plus Critique

Mel Gibson's Rant as Profound Clue

To Anti-Obamite Lefties: It Doesn't Matter If You're Right

How Important is the Loss of Friendship?

The Mystery of Obama's Relationship with Power

Power and Corruption: Just What Is Their Relationship?

Comments

Frankly, I expected a tad more than just soundbit... by Robert S. Becker on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:42:28 PM
It is refreshing, Robert, to have someone complain... by Andrew Schmookler on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:20:18 PM
No, a straw man fallacy may also set up an artifi... by Robert S. Becker on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:10:50 PM
As I indicated in the opening of the piece, my pur... by Andrew Schmookler on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 3:14:08 PM
As I made clear, I wasn't inviting debate.  ... by Robert S. Becker on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:03:30 PM
I am very sorry  but  there is only one... by Mark Sashine on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:13:44 PM
So, Mark. You think that what the Koch Brothers an... by Andrew Schmookler on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 3:41:37 PM
Yep, glad to see you had no interest in starting ... by Robert S. Becker on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:08:37 PM
I'm beginning to wonder, Robert, whether I should... by Andrew Schmookler on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 5:32:43 PM
Sorry to offend you.  Sorry that I am a clos... by Robert S. Becker on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 8:28:50 PM
Carnegie's 'philanthropy' happened after he had m... by Derryl Hermanutz on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 5:14:21 PM
Bravo. Stated with pinpoint accuracy. As a small ... by Bob Davey on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 10:30:54 PM
Well said! The Eskimos may have hundreds of words... by Ted Newcomen on Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 7:18:03 AM
Or in formal language, a straw man argument "crea... by Robert S. Becker on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:26:30 PM
" What are the qualities or examples of non-Koch ... by BFalcon on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:03:29 PM
Capitalists for us, socialists for themselves. ... by Hosea McAdoo on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:12:50 PM
Every kind of capitalism depends on continuall... by Ed Ciaccio on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:40:30 PM
Extremely important point not often pointed out. ... by Hosea McAdoo on Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:56:52 AM
"Koch Brothers Capitalism," via the Koch Suckers..... by Rixar13 on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:58:32 PM
"Koch Brothers Capitalism," via the Koch Suckers..... by Rixar13 on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:58:54 PM
Andy, since I'm an infrequent reader, maybe I miss... by Tom Dawson on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:14:30 PM
My response, Mr. Dawson, is two-fold.First, I beli... by Andrew Schmookler on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 3:24:10 PM
Professor King, Chairperson of the Integrated... by kevin walsh on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:40:17 PM
Carnegie, Buffett  and universal health1. I w... by Mark Sashine on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:30:49 PM
Easier said than done in a world where broad scal... by Bob Davey on Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:03:53 PM
I like the phrase, "Koch Brothers Capitalism... by Jack Flanders on Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 7:06:51 AM
For me to imagine 'Capitalism Rehabilitated', it w... by Jack Flanders on Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:20:09 AM
Maybe "Sovereign Capitalism" can also be called "... by Jack Flanders on Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:55:55 AM
Thanks for providing what I found lacking in the ... by Robert S. Becker on Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:22:32 AM
It was a good point, Bob - among many good points... by Jack Flanders on Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 5:53:02 PM
thanks. nice to get a compliment on this thread fo... by Robert S. Becker on Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 8:47:17 PM
Corporations can be forcibly dechartered. I ... by Jack Flanders on Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 8:44:31 AM
Who in our corrupt government has the fortitude or... by Hosea McAdoo on Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 9:56:00 AM
I don't know, but Bernie Saunders, Alan Grayson, a... by Jack Flanders on Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 12:41:19 PM
I should have added, "and chance without corporat... by Hosea McAdoo on Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 1:33:48 PM
I basically agree. Although I would not say the D... by Jack Flanders on Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 2:24:35 PM
the phrase I've best description of the Koch brot... by Tim Bastable on Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 1:43:15 AM
Predatory or parasitic?Predatory capital is when ... by Jack Flanders on Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 6:28:17 AM