Ron Paul is on track to win the Iowa caucus, unless the racist newsletters he authored 20+ years ago shocks some of his supporters back to reality. This is from the Business Insider:
They were called the Ron Paul's Political Report, Ron Paul's Freedom Report, the Ron Paul Survival Report and the Ron Paul Investment Letter. There is no doubt that the newsletters contained utterly racist statements. Some choice quotes:
- "Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal."
- "We are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational."
- After the Los Angeles riots, one article in a newsletter claimed, "Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."
- One referred to Martin Luther King Jr. as "the world-class philanderer who beat up his paramours" and who "seduced underage girls and boys"
- Another referred to Barbara Jordan, a civil rights activist and congresswoman as "Barbara Morondon," the "archetypical half-educated victimologist."
Other newsletters had strange conspiracy theories about homosexuals, the CIA, and AIDS
Ron Paul a racist nutball? Nooooo . . . sure didn't see that coming!
Meanwhile, another front-runner Newt "who am I married to, again?" Gingrich is facing troubles with his bizarro derisive attitude toward the US Judiciary and his lies about (and overt hatred toward) Palestinians. He attacked a federal judge in Texas for refusing to allow state-mandated prayer in schools, then spread (more) incendiary lies about the Palestinian's in last week's debate.
"It made for dramatic television, Newt Gingrich's screed against the Palestinians. Defending his earlier assertion that they are 'an invented people,' the former House speaker kicked things up at notch at a Dec. 10 debate in Des Moines. 'Somebody oughta have the courage to tell the truth: These people are terrorists. They teach terrorism in their schools. They have textbooks that say, 'If there are 13 Jews and nine Jews are killed, how many Jews are left?' We pay for those textbooks through our aid money. It's fundamentally time for somebody to have the guts to stand up and say, 'Enough lying about the Middle East.'"
The truth, however, seems to be that no such textbook exists. Newt is (gasp!) lying? Maybe he didn't intend his attack to be a factual statement. Lots of Republicans make that mistake. Can't expect Eye of Newt to be honest -- why start now?