Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook 5 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest 2 Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon 1 Tell A Friend 2 (10 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Article Stats   115 comments

General News

Don't Be Fooled By 'Conspiracy Theory' Smears

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 3 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (more...) ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags  (less...) Add to My Group(s)

Well Said 10   Supported 9   Valuable 7

opednews.com Headlined to H1 5/29/14

undefined
Dag Hammarskjöld
(image by United Nations)

CNN and Newsweek recently launched dubious tirades against what they called "conspiracy theories."

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal published U.N. Considers Reopening Probe into 1961 Crash that Killed Dag Hammarskjöld, a report that broached the possibility that the United States may have been involved in the death of the secretary-general.

As a way to understand such varied messages, I urge readers to evaluate evidence with an open mind -- and regard with special suspicion those commentators who slant their coverage with the loaded smear words "conspiracy theory" without citing specific evidence.

No one has time to investigate everything without preconceptions. For efficiency, we rely in part on slanted commentary by our favorite sources. But if the stakes are high and we want to be honest we should admit (at least to ourselves) that our preliminary conclusions should be subject to change based on new data.

My suggestions follow the spirit of the Justice Integrity Project's JFK Assassination "Readers Guide" last fall. That 11-part series began with a catalog of books, archives, reports and videos. Then it proceeded to assess various theories of President Kennedy's 1963 murder.

By now, we know from declassified documents that the CIA undertook a massive secret campaign to smear critics of the Warren Commission with the label "conspiracy theorist."

The campaign used members of mainstream media friendly to the CIA, for example, to discredit New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison. Garrison was prosecuting New Orleans businessman Clay Shaw in what Garrison alleged was a conspiracy to murder Kennedy. Shaw, an OSS liaison to high-ranking British officials during World War II, founded a major regional trade mart in New Orleans shortly after the war. Garrison alleged that Shaw met with rightist opponents of JFK to plan the death. Shaw denied involvement, including in a 1967 video interview.

A 50-page CIA memo, known as "CIA Dispatch 1035-960," instructed agents to contact their media contacts and disparage those, like Garrison, criticizing the Warren Commission findings that Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK and acted alone. The 1967 document is here in the original, and here in reformatted text of its summary.

Minutes of CIA meeting that same year indicated fear that Garrison would win a conviction.

But a jury promptly acquitted Shaw following more than a dozen deaths (including suicide) of potential witnesses and an intense smear campaign against Garrison by the national media. NBC News hired former high-ranking Justice Department official Walter Sheridan, who had been an early recruit to the super-secret NSA in the 1950s. Publicly an investigative reporter, Sheridan was involved also in operational efforts to undermine Garrison.

More generally, Operation Mockingbird was the CIA's secret program to plant stories in the nation's most prestigious news outlets.

"With this [CIA] memo and the CIA's influence in the media," author Peter Janney wrote in a guest column on our site last fall, "the concept of 'conspiracy theorist' was engendered and infused into our political lexicon and became what it is today: a term to smear, denounce, ridicule, and defame anyone who dares to speak about any crime committed by the state, military or intelligence services."

Janney, whose late father Wistar Janney had been a high-ranking CIA executive, continued: "People who want to pretend that conspiracies don't exist -- when in fact they are among the most common modus operandi of significant historical change throughout the world and in our country -- become furious when their naive illusion is challenged."

After that background, let's look at more recent uses of the term by the mainstream media to discredit those who suggest government complicity in notorious events.

CNN, Newsweek Lash Out Against Government Critics

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3

Andrew Kreig is an investigative reporter, attorney, author, business strategist, radio host, and longtime non-profit executive based in Washington, DC. His most recent book is "Presidential Puppetry: Obama, Romney and Their Masters," the (more...)

Obama Team Feared Coup If He Prosecuted War Crimes

Cain's 'high-tech lynching' defense problem...Clarence Thomas lied

June Trial Looms As Obama DOJ Crusades Against Critics

Thomas Must Resign, Says Former Judge, Lover

CIA Executive's Son: Agency Murdered JFK & Lover

Rove Repeatedly Lies on Fox News About Siegelman Case

Comments

What may well go down as the most famous of all co... by Dennis Kaiser on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 5:51:10 AM
I remember well where I was that week: laid low wi... by Maxwell on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:42:29 AM
The true facts speak for themselves and unmask the... by Lance Ciepiela on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 1:23:17 PM
You've got that right Lance. I worked for six year... by Mark Whittington on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 9:40:51 AM
JFK Assassination: District Attorney Jim Garriso... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 at 10:24:34 PM
Calling all patriots, come out of the 9/11 cover u... by Jon Fox on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:51:02 PM
A large military does not necessarily equal a nimb... by Natalie Oberman on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 5:20:42 PM
Thank you for speaking truth... if anything, you a... by Lance Moore on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:04:15 AM
Thank you, Dr. Moore. After studying the reviews a... by Andrew Kreig on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:32:25 AM
Of course the Bush Administration was involved in ... by Josh Mitteldorf on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:13:41 AM
Hope everyone recognizes this as irony. ... by Maxwell on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:29:18 AM
Well done.lmao ... by George W.Reichel on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 12:26:28 PM
And if anyone doubts that the Cas Sunstein program... by Maxwell on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:33:48 AM
Great piece Andrew. The irony is that the more th... by Jerry Policoff on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:38:35 AM
I appreciate all the insights.Also, readers might ... by Andrew Kreig on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 9:11:36 AM
Let the reader beware. When an author seeks to dis... by Richmond Shreve on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 10:50:02 AM
Not much of challenge Richmond. I trust Andrew Kr... by Jerry Policoff on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 11:43:36 AM
What have. you read by him? ... by Richmond Shreve on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 2:41:58 PM
Almost everything he has written, and I find him r... by Jerry Policoff on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 1:46:56 AM
I would be interested to know specifically what Su... by Richmond Shreve on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:06:13 AM
Sunstein is just another warmongering neocon.No,I ... by George W.Reichel on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 12:28:44 PM
These people abuse words like "skepticism." How i... by Joe Giambrone on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 3:10:53 PM
Mr. Shreve: I'd like to thank you both for your co... by Andrew Kreig on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 3:28:17 PM
Judging from the length of some of your comments a... by Maxwell on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:04:37 AM
I concur with your encouragement of people to read... by Maxwell on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 4:06:45 PM
Perhaps I read Sunstein with a different mindset t... by Richmond Shreve on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:28:27 AM
The main problem I have with this is giving govern... by Maxwell on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:41:21 PM
Richmond - I just dropped by to read this piece an... by Donn Marten on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 6:41:48 PM
Richmond Shreve is a valued member of opednews I w... by Rob Kall on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 3:32:24 PM
Well things do get a bit heated at times Rob but i... by Donn Marten on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 4:45:31 PM
Actually I don't see Richmond getting offended. H... by Maxwell on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 7:12:49 PM
Mr Kall: How can someone vouch for A (Richmond) a... by Lester Shepherd on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 6:52:05 PM
Simplistic reasoning. It's a rare person who is r... by Maxwell on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 8:06:51 PM
First, sorry about your experience with the editor... by Rob Kall on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 8:09:02 PM
I apologize if I am out of place or ignorant. I w... by Lester Shepherd on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 9:21:19 PM
Must read links to major, important and updated ne... by Pal Palsimon on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:15:40 AM
Also see:Disinformation Killed 9/11 "Truth"Disinfo... by Joe Giambrone on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 3:07:33 PM
Interesting article with many good points, thank y... by Daniel Noel on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 3:40:49 PM
Daniel,Is "baby step" another spurious html link? ... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 8:02:37 AM
Daniel,Now I see it! GD Windows 7 "helpfully" bri... by Maxwell on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:23:17 AM
Here is an article written by Stephen Lendman from... by Chris Cook on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 6:02:39 PM
For what it's worth here are some interesting link... by Donn Marten on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 6:51:33 PM
Thanks for the links Donn. Most of the info was v... by Gregory Kozloff on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 3:56:09 AM
Yeah, I think so too. Again, I am an agnostic but ... by Donn Marten on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 9:49:13 AM
As noted in my upcoming book, "Time for Terror: T... by Michael Springmann on Friday, May 30, 2014 at 7:21:19 PM
Caution: If you have any knowledge of assassinati... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 1:49:09 PM
I can't share your disappointment there was no civ... by Maxwell on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 7:25:12 PM
Those are not my hyperlinks. They are being insert... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Jun 1, 2014 at 10:26:42 AM
Terrific article. I learned a lot from it.I read t... by Jerry Kann on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 9:50:43 PM
There's a top-down aspect to labeling people consp... by Rob Kall on Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 10:27:20 PM
>>"So we are challenged to differentiate between c... by Paul Repstock on Monday, Jun 2, 2014 at 2:47:56 PM
I think I had a true debate with Richmond Shreve s... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:58:37 AM
I couldn't resist posting here the letter I wrote ... by Jerry Kann on Monday, Jun 2, 2014 at 7:39:50 PM
I don't really think that's such a 'fantastic cons... by Natalie Oberman on Monday, Jun 2, 2014 at 11:46:04 PM
I think you missed the point. ... by Pal Palsimon on Tuesday, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:03:36 AM
Excuse my above post to Natalie. It was not meant ... by Pal Palsimon on Tuesday, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:09:20 AM
It should have been! There is also no evidence fo... by Paul Repstock on Tuesday, Jun 3, 2014 at 1:14:34 PM
Of course there's evidence implicating Al-Qaeda. ... by Natalie Oberman on Wednesday, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:06:17 AM
"The guy was already on the manifest"....of an air... by Paul Repstock on Wednesday, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:41:03 AM
No flight plan or scheduled time of arrival? That... by Natalie Oberman on Wednesday, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:49:00 PM
"Of course. Star Wars Beam Weapons, or SWBW for t... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 3:25:39 PM
"The passport was NOT found "amid the millions of ... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 3:15:18 PM
Oh. You think I don't believe this 9/11 was a fals... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Jun 4, 2014 at 3:27:53 AM
And your actual evidence for that would be .......... by Natalie Oberman on Wednesday, Jun 4, 2014 at 11:03:37 PM
I think a lot of people have presented good evide... by Pal Palsimon on Thursday, Jun 5, 2014 at 6:26:35 AM
That's OK Pal. I've seen everything that's been p... by Natalie Oberman on Friday, Jun 6, 2014 at 12:06:41 AM
Did you ever hear the phrase "read my lips?" Well... by Pal Palsimon on Friday, Jun 6, 2014 at 4:48:19 AM
Dear Natalie----I used the quote from Lincoln to ... by Jerry Kann on Tuesday, Jun 3, 2014 at 9:53:45 PM
I share your concern about people wrongly characte... by Natalie Oberman on Wednesday, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:19:17 AM
Of course! ... by Jerry Kann on Wednesday, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:02:37 PM
Thanks for adding to the discussion of my column. ... by Andrew Kreig on Thursday, Jun 5, 2014 at 9:25:38 AM
Hi Andrew,I guess I do mean persuasive proof, beca... by Natalie Oberman on Friday, Jun 6, 2014 at 2:05:12 AM
Hi Natalie:I'm not against the possibility that Os... by Andrew Kreig on Friday, Jun 6, 2014 at 9:35:10 AM
Thank you for being open minded on Oswald being th... by Natalie Oberman on Friday, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:13:22 PM
Well,you did make a few good points, I must admit.... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 at 2:50:11 AM
"I have also come to believe the towers have not f... by Natalie Oberman on Sunday, Jun 8, 2014 at 9:51:19 PM
Quote, in part from: Architects & Engineers for 9... by Pal Palsimon on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 5:34:03 AM
Note the number of professional architects and eng... by Pal Palsimon on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 5:37:14 AM
The JFK murder and 9/11 murders did have some simi... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:38:58 AM
"But then again I'm only a 'little hinge'. "I'l... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 2:40:39 PM
Yes, looking into the psychological motives people... by Gary Williams on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 8:50:08 PM
After the very specific evidence presented to you ... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Jun 8, 2014 at 11:01:04 PM
I have personal knowledge that Oswald was portraye... by Pal Palsimon on Friday, Jun 6, 2014 at 5:02:30 AM
That is a most interesting time period and place. ... by Andrew Kreig on Friday, Jun 6, 2014 at 7:40:28 AM
I look forward to reading her book, especially to ... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 at 2:53:37 AM
I think when Lee H O was distributing leaflets in ... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:41:22 PM
P. S. And I know my information to FBI was NOT pas... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:16:15 AM
Andrew,Whether history proves the JFK conspiracy t... by Richmond Shreve on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 8:55:33 AM
Richard: In general, your comments strike me as re... by Andrew Kreig on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:51:13 AM
Six-sided den of vipers, that's a good one! He co... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:24:43 AM
Visual evidence is evidence...of the second kind.V... by Daniel Penisten on Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:30:01 AM
Follow the money to solve the crime. Greed will tr... by Paul Repstock on Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 at 10:47:09 AM
Don't know Natalie, but from her comments I gather... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:45:42 PM
"She is a not-see"Clever, got it past OEN's PC fil... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:44:16 AM
" No single person was ever treid for dereliction"... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:49:53 AM
I appreciate all the insights and other comments. ... by Andrew Kreig on Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 at 11:15:08 AM
At your link and these below, one can find video a... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:34:41 PM
Take the JFK assassination for what you can discov... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:48:09 PM
"militant and violent *left-wing* takeover of the ... by Gary Williams on Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 4:13:16 AM
Perhaps we can have both a conspiracy AND a lone g... by Natalie Oberman on Sunday, Jun 8, 2014 at 7:01:36 PM
We're getting to close to the limit, I think, of w... by Andrew Kreig on Sunday, Jun 8, 2014 at 7:36:28 PM
"It has been 50 years since President John F. Kenn... by Natalie Oberman on Sunday, Jun 8, 2014 at 9:04:39 PM
First it was: "I'm not against the possibility tha... by Natalie Oberman on Sunday, Jun 8, 2014 at 9:13:40 PM
He was quoting Garrison there. ... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 11:24:02 AM
You're right, he was, my bad. ... by Natalie Oberman on Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:54:53 AM
"Prouty noted also that he personally saw complete... by Natalie Oberman on Sunday, Jun 8, 2014 at 9:26:22 PM
"I'm puzzled by a willingness to avoid addressing,... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:58:43 AM
"The Secret Team" was Prouty's first book, publish... by Andrew Kreig on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 1:54:03 PM
To everyone, just for your reference:Two good webs... by Jerry Kann on Sunday, Jun 8, 2014 at 11:02:53 PM
AE911 has done some very good work, but I'm afraid... by Maxwell on Monday, Jun 9, 2014 at 11:05:26 AM
Dear Maxwell: The High-Rise Safety Initiative... by Jerry Kann on Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 9:39:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if an unbiased... by Maxwell on Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 8:12:53 AM
"Prouty noted also that he personally saw complete... by Natalie Oberman on Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:18:44 AM
It needs to be said here that those who myself and... by Gary Williams on Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:24:55 AM
Just to indicate how easily we can be identified a... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 5:02:09 AM