Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook 9 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! 1 Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon 1 Tell A Friend 13 (24 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats   41 comments

General News

Bernie Sanders May Run for President in 2016

By (about the author)     Permalink
Related Topic(s): , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 10   Supported 6   News 5

opednews.com Headlined to H2 11/18/13

From http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bernie_Sanders_%28I-VT%29.jpg: Bernie Sanders
Bernie Sanders
(image by Wikipedia)
  DMCA

US Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt) told his hometown paper Friday that he is considering making a run for President in 2016.

The Burlington (VT) Free Press reports that Sanders may run if no one else with progressive views takes the plunge.

It is essential, he said, to have someone in the 2016 presidential campaign who is willing to take on Wall Street, address the "collapse" of the middle class, tackle the spread of poverty and fiercely oppose cuts to Social Security and Medicare.

Also, addressing global warming needs to be a top priority, not an afterthought, Sanders said.

"Under normal times, it's fine, you have a moderate Democrat running, a moderate Republican running," Sanders said. "These are not normal times. The United States right now is in the middle of a severe crisis and you have to call it what it is."

..."One of the difficulties for someone like me running is ... I'm not going to get any money from Wall Street or corporate America," Sanders said. "We have been successful, but it's one thing to talk about raising money for a Senate campaign in a small state, another thing running for president of the United States."Sanders, however, would begin with an already established nationwide network of 700,000 people who have contributed to his Senate campaigns or otherwise supported him.

...Sanders said he would be comfortable with a Warren presidential bid. "I like Elizabeth Warren very much," he said. "Her beauty is that she is very smart. She speaks English. She can explain economics in a way that everybody can understand."

Reprinted from commondreams.org/

commondreams.org is a progressive publisher

Related Topic(s): , Add Tags

Bernie Sanders May Run for President in 2016

Google Acts Like Privatized NSA: WikiLeaks' Julian Assange

Groups Appeal to UN for "Humanity" as Detroit Shuts Off Water to Thousands

Citizenfour Producers Sued for "Aiding" Edward Snowden

In Dry California, Thirsty Oil and Big-Ag Industries Exempt from Water Regulations

Noam Chomsky: Obama's Drone Program "The Most Extreme Terrorist Campaign of Modern Times"

Comments

Senator Bernie Sanders would make a great POTUS, h... by Rixar13 on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:08:45 PM
Senator Bernie Sanders would make a great POTUS, h... by Rixar13 on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:09:08 PM
This is one of those things where I want to click ... by Charles Roll on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:12:49 PM
Ohmigosh! I say that ll the time! "I want Ber... by Susan Lee Schwartz on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:16:19 PM
I certainly hope he does and has a chance. He is o... by Hosea McAdoo on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:19:14 PM
At 84 and an activist for peace ... never having a... by stan levin on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:26:49 PM
YES!  He has my vote.  And, wouldn't it ... by Sheila Samples on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:40:07 PM
Sanders/Warren 2016   Fabulous!!!... by Cynthia Drozd on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 5:29:24 PM
Or Warren/Sanders?... by BFalcon on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 4:42:51 AM
A real progressive for economic and social equalit... by David Peter on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 3:21:34 PM
Be still my Heart !... by Bob Burr on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 3:27:04 PM
Of course this is big news for the progressive com... by Charles-Eva Manning on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 3:34:56 PM
Bernie is too much of a friend of Israel to win th... by David McCorquodale on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 3:47:06 PM
Sanders will probably do no better than the leadin... by Charles-Eva Manning on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 5:11:59 PM
Please let us not get stuck again on a self-fulfil... by Daniel Geery on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 6:03:40 PM
Cynthia McKinney might be a good running mate with... by Daniel Penisten on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:52:14 AM
From its inception Israel was based on driving the... by David McCorquodale on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:57:57 AM
Why would he need to run on the Green ticket? Who ... by Gustav Wynn on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:17:37 PM
The Greens had more ballot access than the other t... by Charles-Eva Manning on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:39:36 PM
Well, you answered your own point.  Ballot ac... by David McCorquodale on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 7:49:19 AM
Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren! WOW! America ... by Peter Cohen on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 4:52:59 PM
While I do have trouble with Bernie on his air for... by Daniel Geery on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 6:05:53 PM
I also think we could ridicule and harass the co*k... by Daniel Geery on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 6:07:27 PM
I couldn't agree more... and I know Bernie. If he ... by Susan Lee Schwartz on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 7:38:47 PM
I love Bernie and having him run in the Democratic... by Rob Kall on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 6:14:12 PM
Run Bernie, run! Believe it or not, Bernie co... by Mark Whittington on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 7:18:52 PM
Sanders and Warren. You are a dreamer Rob.... by Susan Lee Schwartz on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 7:39:46 PM
I would vote for Bernie Sanders in a heartbeat. He... by M.I. Lee on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 8:04:41 PM
I'd love to see some polling on Bernie in the Sout... by Gustav Wynn on Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:35:48 PM
"It is essential, he said, to have someone in the... by Dennis Kaiser on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 4:56:30 AM
That person definitely not Hillary regardless of h... by Hosea McAdoo on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 8:26:33 AM
Hillary is one of the 1%er favorites. I would not ... by Dennis Kaiser on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:16:36 AM
He is more in touch with ordinary people than all... by B. Cayenne Bird on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 7:22:16 AM
I wonder what Senator Sanders thinks about Jill St... by Daniel Penisten on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:37:04 AM
I'd like to see them debate. In fact, neither of t... by Charles-Eva Manning on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 6:44:40 PM
... by Leland E.Wheeler on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:38:12 AM
Realistically, what a Sanders candidacy could achi... by Maxwell on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:52:05 AM
Too many posts that I want to respond to.  So... by David McCorquodale on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:18:01 AM
Sanders-Warren 2016!That would get me to change fr... by Alan 8 on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:47:13 PM
Your comment is not without reason, because money ... by Susan Lee Schwartz on Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 6:02:31 PM
Bernie Sanders and Jill Stein, dream ticket... by B. Cayenne Bird on Sunday, Nov 24, 2013 at 2:20:48 AM