Mormonism today officially rejects polygamy. Thousands, however, still practice it.
Former Mormon practitioner Chris Tolworthy left the LDS church. He expressed anger and frustration. He moved on and explained. In 2006, he published "Ten Reasons to Protect Your Children From Mormonism."
He began saying it's "better than many alternatives." It's better than raising children "in an even worse cult".But Mormonism is not the best." It's "dangerous."
He belonged to the LDS church for 34 years. For the sake of his children he left. Why he waited so long he didn't say. His reasons include:
(1) Mormonism "destroys your integrity." It's based on "lies" and "sin."
(2) "It makes you covenant to do evil. Some Mormon teachings and practices are evil." They destroy integrity, put church before family, divide communities, preach racism and homophobia, lie, and endorse other harmful practices.
The church keeps its dark side well hidden. Methods it calls righteous are unethical. It also teaches honesty and other good things. Its virtuous side doesn't compensate for its harm.
(3) "It might kill your children. Utah is the Prozac capital of the world." It also the leading state for suicides among adolescents and young men aged 15 - 24. Many high school girls feel sad and lonely.
Teenagers are taught to feel different from other people. They're made to feel guilty about normal sexual feelings.
(4) "It limits their emotional development." The church teaches that "obedience is the first law of heaven." Children get very early indoctrination. Faith is force-fed.
(5) It's "divisive" because "it has so many core beliefs that can be proved false."
"The church puts itself before the family." Individuality and free choice get shut out.
(6) "The church teaches prejudice." It's racist, homophobic, and hardline. Church scripture says "black skin is a curse for wickedness."
It's on the wrong side of other social issues. Polygamy was finally abandoned but not entirely.
Millions of dollars are spent attacking gays.