A Final Comment
Earlier this year, Israeli historian Ilan Pappe toured Canada. He lectured on "The False Paradigm of Peace: Revisiting the Palestinian Question." He addressed 10 common myths:
(1) Palestine was a land without people for a people without land.
(2) Palestinians committed terrorist acts against Jewish settlers prior to Israel's creation.
(3) Numerous myths about Israel's War of Independence and creation.
(4) Israel was benign and democratic prior to 1967.
(5) Palestinians wanting liberation are terrorists.
(6) In 1967, Israel occupied the West Bank and Gaza to assure peace.
(7) Israel's occupation is benevolent. Palestinian violence forced harsh responses.
(8) Oslo reflected both sides wanting peaceful resolution.
(9) Arafat orchestrated the second Intifada as a mass terror attack.
(10) Solving the Israeli/Palestinian conflict "is just around the corner."
Israel grants rights to Jews alone. Increasingly they're afforded solely to society's privileged. Neoliberal harshness affects others. Arab Israelis suffer most.
Palestinians wanting to live free are called terrorists. Non-Jewish refugees, asylum seekers, and those suffering from captivity and torture aren't wanted. In Israel they're imprisoned. They're treated harshly with no rights. Most are deported.
Israel matches the most unjust, repressive societies. Netanyahu exceeded the worst of his predecessors. Victimization before entry into Israel continues while there. Like America, it's no fit place to live in.
Stephen Lendman lives in Chicago and can be reached at Email address removed .