TN: Error-free votes outweighed a few human mistakes
http://blogs.tennessean.com/opinion/2010/08/26/error-free-votes-outweighed-a-few-human-mistakes/(TN Election Coordinator Mark Goins blaming human error)
TX: Election officials stay optimistic, even after fire destroys Harris Co. voting equipment(video report, 10,000 eSlate destroyed)
HOUSTON Even though more than 10,000 pieces of voting equipment were destroyed in a three-alarm fire at the Harris County Election Technology Center Friday morning, officials said voters should have nothing to worry about when the elections begin in a few months.
The warehouse, located on Canino at Downey, caught fire around 4:20 a.m. Friday, causing an estimated $40 million in damages.
TX: BREAKING: Fire Destroys All 10,000 E-Vote Machines in Houston, Harris County, TX
Update: Accident or Arson? Paper or Plastic?...
http://www.bradblog.com/?p=8017 The early work into determining the cause of the 3-alarm blaze, whether or not it was an accident or arson, is underway...along with determining the plan for how the county will proceed with the upcoming elections in the wake of the loss of $30 million dollars worth of unverifiable electronic voting machines..
And again, our suggested "recovery plan": Pen, paper, translucent plastic boxes, eyeballs of the citizenry to count all of the ballots, in front of everyone at the polling place.
TX: Warehouse blaze still a mystery
Officials still investigating cause of fire that destroyed voting devices
Harris County Commissioners Court will meet in an emergency session Monday to receive the county clerk's proposed recovery plan.
TX: Houston Votes group: No voter fraud, just human mistakes being exploited by "partisan" Harris County Voter Registrar
VT: Tabulation shows Shumlin as winner, but Racine wants a recount
WA: Washington gets waiver for overseas ballots
Federal officials say it's OK for Washington to send ballots to overseas and military voters one month before the general election, instead of the normally required 45 days.
There are only nine business days between final certification of the primary election and the 45-day deadline. State officials say that's not enough time to prepare about 60,000 overseas ballots.
WA: MAIL BALLOT HORROR SHOW(XLIV)
If the idea is to save money, they should go back to polling places. Sam Reed predicts that only 38% of the state's voters will vote this primary, meaning that the remaining 62% of 3.59 million registered voters will toss their ballots into the recycling. 2.2 million packets of wasted paper, ink, glue and outbound postage must cost a horrendous amount of money, with or without the extra flap.
WI: Wisconsin denied military ballot law waiver
Not being able to meet the 45-day requirement under the law isn't that big of an issue because all states can e-mail ballots to voters, said Susan Dzieduszycka-Suinat, president and of the Overseas Vote Foundation, a nonprofit group that assists overseas and military voters.
Internet Voting Watch
Verified Voting: One Solution Delivering Blank Ballots via Internet
http://blog.verifiedvoting.org/2010/08/27/805 So there is a way to use the Internet to vastly improve access to blank ballots. The next part of the problem, returning voted ballots, has several solutions, including the MOVE requirement that states allow a 45 day period for ballot return. But as to the question of whether we can safely use the Internet for voted ballot return, security experts say that without changing the way the Internet currently works no way, no how.
DOD denies 4 states military ballot law waiver
Not getting the waiver calls into question how the affected states -- Wisconsin, Hawaii, Alaska and Colorado -- will comply with deadlines for counting all votes cast for the Nov. 2 election by members of the military and other Americans living overseas.
The Defense Department granted Delaware, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Washington the waivers.
States that won waivers provided "thorough and comprehensive plans to protect the voting opportunities for military and overseas voters," Bob Carey, director of the Federal Voting Assistance Program, said in a statement.
Report on the Fourth International Conference on Electronic Voting 2010
Australia: New Election Risk for Australia?
Opposition refusal to cooperate in negotiations over Australia's hung parliament could take Australia back to the polls.