8. If the couple was under such financial stress, why would Bruce jeopardize any chance of the family collecting life insurance benefits by committing suicide and killing his wife?
9. Why would Bruce decide to deprive both he and Nancy of seeing the grandchildren who they loved so dearly grow up?
10. Why would Bruce never mention the grandchildren he loved so dearly in the extensive suicide notes?
11. Why would Bruce knowingly take a drastic action that would devastate the children and grandchildren who loved him so much?
12. Why would Bruce commit such an act that was so against his faith and completely out of character for him according to those who know him best?
13. Why would the GBI be unwilling to properly investigate and rule out the possibility of a professional assassination given the circumstances and high profile nature of the case?
GBI spokesperson, John Bankhead, initially promised Fox 5 News "there will be a thorough investigation" given the high profile circumstances of the case. That thoroughness obviously never materialized. The Final Investigative Summary contains only one paragraph to summarize the findings of murder-suicide, relying on the suicide notes for that conclusion. There is no rationale in the summary to explain how the conclusion was reached, what other scenarios were considered or how other scenarios were ruled out. While the GBI may have come to the correct conclusion, the only thing consistent with a "thorough investigation" seems to be the amount of time that the case was left open.
The limited investigative scope is appalling considering the high profile circumstances surrounding the Schaefers' deaths. Case file evidence mentioned in this report illustrates that the GBI was unwilling to investigate the case to the point where they could rule out professional assassination. They also destroyed all items seized or created at autopsy so now their actions can never be reviewed or questioned. Their conduct raises a legitimate question as to whether or not they could have been compromised or manipulated by officials implicated in former Nancy Schaefer's documentary and materials. Their investigation may even become more questionable than the killings themselves.
Regardless of how the couple may have died, former Senator Nancy Schaefer lived the last couple of years of her life dedicated to helping children and families who were victimized by the very government agencies that were supposed to be helping them.
Mrs. Schaefer had found during the last few years that:
- Georgia housed children in a foster home with a known pedophile who molested the children.
- Habersham County failed to remove six children from a home where they were being abused and tortured.
- Georgia turned two girls over to a California father who had a pornographic video business.
A report that she produced on these remarkable cases can be found at the fight CPS web site: