1. Special interest manipulation. Basically, wanton greed manifested in the desire of some folks to get rich at the expense of others, at minimum expense, dressed up as "for the good of society". Corporate lobbyists, megalomaniac career politicians, criminals, unscrupulous profiteers, all looking for an easy way to make a buck (and blame it on "capitalism" if anything goes wrong) and to control everyone (the control is needed so the manna from heaven doesn't stop).
2. Human pettiness. Another huge
factor is the wide-spread "there should be a law against that!" attitude
among most common people. This very attitude is precisely what allows
the status quo to remain and reach such gargantuan proportions. This
attitude is fed by political ideologies which focus on social injustice
(defined by and de facto caused by the proponents of these very
ideologies!), whose number one role is to fan the flames of discontent
in order to
get the sheep to demand a wolf for their own safety.
3. Low IQ. And then there's the intelligence and education factor. Let's face it. Most of the people responsible for initiating the processes leading towards all these new laws - the there-should-be-a-law-against-that crowd, as well as the greedy so-and-so's from point 1 - really aren't very clever. It doesn't take much IQ to "demand something," does it? It doesn't take great education, culture or intelligence to bribe a greedy megalomaniac either. Not to be outdone, most of the legislators and government types (the greedy megalomaniacs) who actually introduce and enforce these laws are themselves not the brightest sparks either. Precious few among your representatives, congressmen, government officials and certainly your bureaucrats, have IQ's above the national average, somewhere around 100-110 points! In fact, truth be told, the average IQ of a person in a position of power is almost certainly considerably lower than the average IQ of the reader of this article! You're enslaved by dummies. And, finally, the common masses bearing the brunt of this wanton abuse - including you and me - are the dumb fall guys in all cases with no exceptions. And this includes the intelligentsia, the pundits and the clever clogs who consider themselves oh so intelligent. They're so smart, they're actually stupid. And cowardly.TOO MANY LAWS UNDERMINE THE RULE OF LAW.
Winston Churchill said "if you have 10,000 regulations, you destroy all respect for law." What about 10 million?
The myopic view of "law" as an essential tool to "regulate" human behavior has been hijacked as much by manipulators, con-men and criminals for their own purposes, as by the common person who, naively, believes that there is no better way. Progressive and "liberal" ideologues are particularly fond of all this "regulating", though "conservatives" aren't much better either. They all beg to be enslaved. And they're getting their prayers answered.
As long as laws remain cut off from their primary sources - the non-aggression and the individual property right principles - we will never achieve justice. As long as laws are allowed to be used against the rule of law - we will never be free. Until we demand that all laws which pervert our natural rights be repealed - we're allowing our cage to be smaller and smaller.
To decide which laws should go and which ones should stay, we must follow these simple rules of thumb:
1. If a law/regulation makes everybody happy - scrap it - since everyone agrees, there's no need for it
2. If a law/regulation makes most people unhappy and only some people happy - scrap it immediately.
3. Only laws which preserve the individual property rights and shield the individual from aggression (including especially aggression by government) should remain on the books.
It's time to nullify and repeal 99% of all the laws. And if your representative doesn't agree - vote the profiteering, collectivist So-And-So out.
And all the while remember that the world's smallest-ever national bureaucracy was responsible for creating the wealthiest, most egalitarian and most powerful nation on the face of the earth in what seems like a blink of an eye. And then observe that it now takes the world's largest bureaucracy to undo it at an ever-increasing pace.