Politically it's different. Pro-Palestinian sentiment grows. So does anti-Israeli hostility. An earlier article asked if Israel overstepped this time. World protests suggest perhaps so if only modestly. What follows remains to be seen.
Another article said peace isn't won on battlefields. It's when dialogue replaces belligerence. Conflicts beget more of them. Endless violence is self-destructive.
Long-term, no one wins. Peace and stability depend on prioritizing diplomacy over confrontation. Regional conditions are deteriorating. Something has to give.
Belligerence doesn't work. One analyst suggested the obvious. Why not give peace a chance. Imagine the possibilities not so far considered.
Ceasefire terms leave much to be desired. Fundamental injustices weren't resolved. Provisions and language leave disturbing wiggle room. Memorandum of understanding terms include:
(1) Israel to cease air, land, and sea hostilities, as well as stop targeted killings.
(2) Palestinian resistance groups to halt rocket and other attacks.
(3) Easing blockade restrictions modestly. Not enough to matter. Gaza's siege continues. Free movement remains restricted.
Implementation procedures not yet decided. Negotiations will determine them.
Oslo left major unresolved issues for later final status talks. They included borders, Palestinian sovereignty, the right of return, settlements, and East Jerusalem as Palestine's capital among others.
Over 19 years later, no progress whatever was made on these and other important issues. This time won't be different.
(4) Cessation of hostilities took effect at 2PM EST (9PM regional time).
(5) Egypt to act as guarantor. "Egypt shall receive assurances from each party that the party commits to what was agreed upon."
(6) "Each party shall commit itself not to perform any acts that would breach this understanding. In case of any observations Egypt as the sponsor of this understanding shall be informed to follow up."
Netanyahu provisionally agreed to halt hostilities. He reserved the right to resume them any time for any reason or none at all.
Agreed on terms resembled what followed Cast Lead. Washington was guarantor. The fox guarded the hen house. It still does. Conflict continued. Nothing this time is different.