In his early 20's Barack Obama wrote "Remember how I said there's a certain kind of conservatism which I respect more than bourgeois liberalism -- Eliot is of this type." Even at a young age it was clear that Barack Obama was no liberal, and in fact had nothing but disdain for "bourgeois liberalism". A comparison of the Obama Administration's policies to previous administrations puts President Obama to the political right of Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon and George Bush Sr. It could be argued that some of President Obama's policies are to the political right of Ronald Reagan. The Obama White House has helped derail or undermined most progressive causes in the country, from environmental protection to support for unions and whistleblowers, to ending wars, to the rule of law on Wall Street, cutting unnecessary and wasteful military spending, sensible gun control, and the right of the all accused persons to a public trial by jury. Virtually no progressive cause has escaped unscathed, and no corporate or military cause has gone lacking. As far as President Obama is concerned, he can ignore every progressive piece of legislation, proposed regulation, progressive backed initiative or cause and not worry about suffering the political consequences because most Democrats in the country will vote for the Democratic candidate no matter what harmful things they are doing, or what progressive things they fail to do. It is always difficult to take on the moneyed-interests in Washington, but there is nothing more disingenuous than pledging to bring change to Washington when your real agenda turns out to be lax corporate regulation, expanded defense spending, a very aggressive international defense posture, reduced workers bargaining rights, oil, gas and nuclear power development without environmental protection, prosecution of whistleblowers, spying on Americans, ignoring union concerns, holding people in permanent detention without trial and proposing to cut the social safety net to reduce the deficit.
Ask yourself, how are progressive causes such as environmental protection fairing now after 3 and a half years of President Obama as compared with how well they were doing in 2000, or even 2008? How energized is the progressive base of the Democratic Party? What do you think about the direction that the country is headed in under President Obama? It is very telling of how bad the situation has gotten for Progressives that the only reason Democrats can give you now to vote for President Obama again is that Romney is worse. In reality the differences between them on progressive issues are nil. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are staunch defenders of the idea that Democrats cannot win corporate-funded elections unless they are just as corporate-friendly and war-friendly as the Republicans. Presidents Clinton and Obama cannot coexist in a Democratic party that adheres to the same policies that Elizabeth Warren advocates. Democratic voters are going to have to decide once and for all if they support the corporate wing of the party, or the worker's wing. At this point in history, you can't be both of these things at the same time.
6) Conservative Bush era policies of the Obama administration: The following is a partial list of some of the negative Bush era polices continued or expanded under the Obama Administration:
1) Overall military spending is significantly up since President Bush left office
2) Bank bailouts with no strings attached continued unabated, with no accountability for past actions
3) Greatly expanded war in Afghanistan, threatening war with Iran and Syria
4) Greatly expanded the unmanned drone strikes in Africa and the Middle East and denial that any civilian casualties have occurred
5) Continued and expanded warrantless wiretapping at great taxpayer expense, and refusal to reveal how many citizens are being spied upon
6) Lack of Justice Dept. or other investigations into the financial collapse, foreclosure fraud, etc.
7) Continuation of indefinite detention without trial, now including American citizens after President Obama signed the NDAA into law
8) Lack of vocal support for workers and unions in Wisconsin or Occupy Wall Street and tacit support of military-style police violence against protesters
9) Expanded oil drilling in ecologically sensitive areas, support for more nuclear power plants, not supporting stricter drinking water standards, not properly funding watchdog agencies like the EPA, FDA or USDA
10) Under the Obama administration the FDA has turned its scrutiny inward to investigate FDA scientists who challenged FDA approval of medical devices
11) Prosecution of whistleblowers rather than support, including very harsh treatment of Bradley Manning
12) Federal crackdown on medical marijuana facilities contrary to state law and doctor's and scientist's recommendations
13) Extrajudicial assassinations now including American citizens