10 Reasons Progressives Ought to support Israel, even now

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (more...) ; ; ; , Add Tags  (less...) Add to My Group(s)

Funny 4   Interesting 4   Valuable 4

opednews.com Headlined to H3 8/8/14

From flickr.com/photos/40294282@N07/14608005399/: Supporting Israel in the USA
Supporting Israel in the USA
(image by IsraelMFA)
  DMCA

A lot of liberals or progressives are confused about supporting Israel, or outright opposed to doing so, especially now, when the current conflict, Operation Defensive Edge, with Hamas has eclipsed the carnage and damage of the last big battle, Operation Cast Lead, in 2012.

However, here are 10 Reasons that progressives ought to be interested in supporting Israel:

1. Historically, Israel, not the Arab countries, have been more supportive of progressive values. One only has to look at how people live in those respective areas (including Gaza) to see which supports human rights more. Where are the counter-demonstrations in Gaza or the West Bank? They are everywhere in Israel. Yet, in Gaza, even during relative peacetime, protesters are routinely arrested.

2. Israel was a progressive cause, once. It's a given that progressives support the "underdog" but they should also see what those forces wish for their people if they succeed. Hamas is a militant-led entity, barely capable of governance, and might even morph into an ISIS-like State (both are Sunni), given the chance. Hamas is a militarized affiliate of the Muslim Brotherhood, now banned in Egypt, where Hamas is equally unpopular. Egypt has refused to even consider opening the gates at Rafah. One has to wonder: why are the Palestinians, or at least their most militant leadership, so unpopular even among their supposed brethren in the Arab lands?

3. Does Israel have the right to defend itself or not? If not, than that is basically calling for its elimination, and writers, pundits, and self-styled "advisers" should be open and up front about that.

4. The term "occupier" is tossed around too loosely. If Israel is truly occupying Gaza, why did they pull out in 2005, under Sharon? And what do writers suggest they do to rein in the Gaza militants (I've even read that it is Israel's duty, as "occupiers" to protect Gaza civilians), if not to take out the militants and become the de facto, or even de jure, police and army in Gaza? That's, after all, what occupation means. Is this what the citizens of Gaza, or Israel, want? One cannot have it both ways.

5. Gaza militants do in fact, launch their rockets (not missiles, because they lack internal guidance) from heavily populated areas. This may be a tactical decision to keep them hidden from view, or political decision to increase the civilian body count when Israel retaliates, but in either case, it shows the Hamas priority is violence, attack, and vengeance, not preservation of Gaza civilian life. How is that a progressive value?

6. Is it right to accept, at face-value, the alleged "support" from the Gaza populace for the militants, or, as we have seen so often in the terrorized Arab lands, is that support merely a survival tactic (e.g. Iraqis "supported" Hussein until it was clear he was ousted, then they didn't. Same with Libya. I'm not saying we should have gone into either of those countries, or into Ukraine currently either - we made a complete mess out of all of them, but one does have to be skeptical of mobs rallying at the point of a gun. Self-preservation is always priority #1 in dictatorships).

7. There have been many statements by Imans, both inside Muslim Countries, and outside, saying they support a caliphate not just in the Middle East, but back into southern Spain, and beyond, into all of Europe. Perhaps Europeans should consider the possibility of being the next stop on the Caliphate train after Israel succumbs. There is, of course, no great love for the Muslim community in Europe, despite their alleged diversity ideals.

8. Gazans (or West Bank Palestinians) do not have freedom of expression, or even education, starting from a very early age, though it must be admitted that the Israeli blockade has taken its toll as well. Only the U.N. provides any sort of remotely unbiased education, and even that has to be questioned, with Israel so highly unpopular in that institution (this is more a matter of the preponderance of Arab or Muslim countries, vs. just one "Jewish" State, and one, America, that supports it).

9. What is a Jew anyway? I don't ask this lightly. In one of my many comments to Paul Craig Robert's article, I said:
Being a Jew has 3 meanings, which makes it unusual among religions:

1. It's a religion
2. It's a race
3. It's a nationality (at least in Israel, the "Jewish State," which automatically grants citizenship to anyone from the Jewish diaspora).

If it's only the third one of these, than Israel can be a Jewish state based on a set of secular laws and traditions (even including things like respect for education, a secular court and the rule of law, democratic elections, etc.). One can be a "Jew" simply by agreeing to these laws and traditions, without being a "religious" or "racial" Jew.

The second definition based on race doesn't make a lot of sense because there are supposedly 12 tribes of Israel scattered all over the world, in modern times (see above). It does come up from racists and neo-Nazis, however, and this cannot be ignored, nor can clearly counter-factual and insulting comparisons of Jews to Nazis and Genocidals (in point of fact, 1,800 dead Gazans out of 1.8 million is .1% of the population. Israel lost a full 1% of its population during its war for independence and many more since then, and the Soviets lost a full 10% - over 20 million - during WWII, and no one claimed these were "genocides." The Holocaust, which was responsible for the death of 6 million Jews, and which some Gazans and Arabs deny or ignore, was a genocide, by all historical and common definitions).

If it's #1, then it's a question of whether the State can tolerate freedom of religion, to be Jewish or not to be Jewish. If it can't, it's a theocracy (I submit most of the Arab lands are this, to a greater or lesser degree, and if you read the Hamas charter I linked to previously, you can see this is clearly their goal for Palestine. It is a fair thing to ask how Islam as the basis for the beliefs of a State like Iran or Saudi Arabia is working out for them, and for the world). I don't believe Israel is a theocracy but its own fundamentalists, who also happen to have large numbers of children, may be pushing it that way, as is the die-off of the traditionally secular, moderate "liberal" class of Israelis and its replacement with a much harder line generation.

This is not a trivial question then, and how one answers it can determine the fate of Israel as a nation.

10. Israel is a more democratic country than even America, and other democratic countries. Israel's parliamentary Knesset is known for its wide-ranging, sometimes raucous, environment, where even minority parties have a strong voice. Certainly it is a more diverse body than our American two-party duopoly.
19th Knesset.svg

United Torah Judaism (7)
Meretz (6)
Hadash (4)
UAL-Ta'al (4)
Balad (3)
Kadima (2)

The latest development is the ending of the 72-hour cease-fire, with more rocket shelling by Hamas, followed by predictable Israeli retaliation. One has to ask, as even West Bank Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas did, "What are you trying to achieve by sending rockets?" Progressives should be asking this question as well.

Scott Baker is a Managing Editor & The Economics Editor at Opednews, and a blogger for Huffington Post, Daily Kos, and Global Economic Intersection.

His anthology of updated Opednews articles was published by Tayen Lane Publishing (March, 2015) and may be found here:

Scott is President of Common Ground-NYC (http://commongroundnyc.org/), a Geoist/Georgist activist group. He has written (more...)

Obama Explains the FEMA Camps

Was Malaysian Flight MH370 Landed Safely in Afghanistan?

Let the Sun Shine on a State Bank in Florida

Batman, The Dark Knight Rises...and Occupy Wall Street Falls

The Least Productive People in the World

The continuing plight of Malaysian Flight MH370 - 2 month update

Comments

I'll start calling the people in charge of Israel ... by Michael Dewey on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 5:26:31 PM
Thanks for this article, Scott! It's useful to see... by Meryl Ann Butler on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 6:49:37 PM
Meryl, I agree with you on this. I've been thinkin... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:23:43 AM
I probably didn't make it clear enough above, but ... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:08:21 AM
I agree with you about the "do unto them" part of ... by June Genis on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 1:30:52 PM
Well, it works if your expectations are high anywa... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:07:16 PM
Israel's Supporters: Where Do You Draw the Line?... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 12:27:47 PM
The Golden Rule you quote and find troublesome mus... by Gary Yarus on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 7:34:43 AM
I must indicate to you a post from another person ... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:35:41 PM
And another by Derryl Hernandez: "How do we us... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:36:47 PM
There is nothing at all ambivalent about the Golde... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:21:05 PM
Jewish Voice For Peace Interrupts Israeli Benefi... by Pal Palsimon on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 4:35:22 PM
Thanks, Pal! I hear you about feeling the stress o... by Meryl Ann Butler on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 8:08:32 AM
Good comment Meryl especially the point "I think t... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 9:40:08 AM
Keep talking, don't ever stop. But at the same tim... by Daniel Geery on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 12:54:37 PM
Here is an interesting piece of truth:WHO IS THE T... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:18:30 PM
Well, technically he is comparing Iran to the U.S.... by Scott Baker on Thursday, Aug 28, 2014 at 2:29:04 AM
Interesting summary of our attitude toward the wor... by Daniel Geery on Thursday, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:32:56 AM
Sounds good to me :)See also, my plan here:click h... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:07:13 AM
I guess I missed that article in 2009, Scott, than... by Meryl Ann Butler on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 8:21:22 AM
Every year, my wife and I attend the week-long Oth... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 10:22:23 AM
Thanks, Scott, I went to the Dancing in Jaffa webs... by Meryl Ann Butler on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:53:31 PM
And Ps - would love to go to that festival with yo... by Meryl Ann Butler on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:54:22 PM
I'll let you know! ... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:51:53 PM
I like this:"You can shoot an enemy, but you can't... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:51:04 PM
A first step is for people to treat and see all th... by Rob Kall on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 10:40:25 PM
Yes, I agree with that too. I don't use such labe... by Scott Baker on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 3:12:11 AM
With due respect, Mr. Baker's 10 points above are ... by Gary Corseri on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:02:37 PM
Beautiffully stated! SB also fails to mention in h... by Kim Cassidy on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:48:21 PM
I will be waiting for SB's reply to each of these ... by Michael David Morrissey on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:08:18 AM
The one point I most assuredly agree with Baker on... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:33:09 AM
"Caliphate ... Europe" ???Strangely ridiculous. ... by BFalcon on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:27:38 PM
Not to the Imans making that claim. And ISIS is s... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:54:45 PM
If you believe them, sure.Why not Mongol Empire?Te... by BFalcon on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 6:36:50 PM
Problem with ISIS: Neoconservatives want to prote... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:44:25 PM
You should read this if you think it is ridiculous... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 10:02:54 AM
I don't care what the goal is of a small group of ... by BFalcon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:07:59 AM
There's always possibility of spill-over. Yet, if ... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:25:57 PM
A storm in a teapot, that is.Spill-over of what?Wh... by BFalcon on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:47:50 AM
I agree with you, Pal, and would only add that thi... by Scott Baker on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 2:21:43 AM
I certainly credited you with better understanding... by BFalcon on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:50:23 AM
No, but Hamas is worse because they are more viole... by Scott Baker on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 4:22:27 AM
I think all those fundamentalists Muslims are viol... by Pal Palsimon on Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 2:28:40 AM
I actually think their disenfranchisement has more... by Scott Baker on Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 2:37:55 AM
Taking your points in order then:1. I suppose I t... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:53:38 AM
Scott Baker said: "3. Personally, I wish there was... by Bill Johnson on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 12:12:43 PM
With my greatest respect for Scott (and growing fo... by Daniel Geery on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 1:10:33 PM
Israel would do well to teach Palestinians how to ... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 9:50:48 AM
How good is the separation of the "church" and sta... by BFalcon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:16:04 AM
not worthy of comment or answer. ... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:31:07 PM
An answer to be expected. ... by BFalcon on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:44:36 AM
See my posts above for your answer. Quotes from ot... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:39:40 PM
For me, a people are what they DO.... NOT who they... by Pal Palsimon on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:04:08 AM
So, what does Pal do? ... by BFalcon on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:45:20 AM
Re: #10: The USA is not now, and never has been, ... by Shireen Parsons on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:38:49 PM
This is sick, and should be saved as evidence for ... by Samson on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:03:00 PM
I emphasize my agreement with your comment. It is ... by Pal Palsimon on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:06:47 AM
I assume you have read Rabbi Lerner's very wise a... by lila york on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:36:17 PM
I saw a much larger, and younger, counter-demonstr... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 10:26:33 AM
I would question WHY my country was being repeated... by Shireen Parsons on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:48:11 PM
Shireen and Scott: In my on and off again journal,... by Daniel Geery on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:49:14 PM
Scott you are asking a chicken and egg question. I... by lila york on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:50:26 PM
Agreed.The present generation leaves a lot to be d... by George W.Reichel on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:01:30 PM
Thanks for the reference to Rabbi Lerner's article... by Meryl Ann Butler on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 6:41:41 PM
I can only guess you are trying to sleep better at... by Kim Cassidy on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 7:38:10 PM
It's not a genocide, for the mathematical and hist... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:58:44 AM
It very much is a genocide. See http://www.prevent... by Vierotchka on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 2:20:45 AM
I believe the actions of Israel fail under Article... by Scott Baker on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 3:09:04 AM
Thanks for the article, Scott. A breath of truth ... by Shirley Braverman on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 8:39:55 PM
Shiley, I too have no desire to live with an irrat... by Daniel Geery on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:53:40 PM
Palestinians lob little rockets.... not missals.Is... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 10:13:59 AM
Thank you for this, much needed. ... by Amy Fried, Ph.D. on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 9:13:51 PM
If you mean "support" as in "agree that the countr... by J. Edward Tremlett on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 10:07:18 PM
I'm curious: What would you do if your country was... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:00:00 AM
Defend ourselves, of course.But if it turned out t... by J. Edward Tremlett on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 7:35:04 AM
When Israel is being shelled by rockets perh... by michael payne on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 11:59:59 AM
Well said! Thank you, Michael. ... by Shireen Parsons on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:53:08 PM
If I was forced to live in the Middle East, there ... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 6:04:59 PM
"There, there is rule of law (though sometimes abu... by J. Edward Tremlett on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:51:22 AM
So what we might conclude from your article and yo... by michael payne on Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:26:39 PM
No, Michael. He doesn't condone all those things. ... by Jim Arnold on Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:11:18 PM
Well, when you put it that (biased) way, no, but o... by Scott Baker on Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 at 1:12:24 AM
There are many defenders of Israel and many apolog... by michael payne on Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 at 6:27:57 PM
Scott: here are a few more observations that I fin... by michael payne on Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 at 10:36:32 PM
Michael -I don't want to trade negations with you.... by Scott Baker on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 1:35:17 AM
"Israel has killed only ~.11% of the Gaza populati... by Jim Arnold on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:09:13 AM
As I pointed out somewhere else in the long thread... by Scott Baker on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 4:06:43 PM
Lift the embargo on population in the area from wh... by BFalcon on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:30:33 PM
Though the question is not directed toward me, I a... by Daniel Geery on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:57:04 PM
If my country was being continuously shelled by ho... by Vernon Huffman on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:01:11 PM
Wikipedia says:Since 2001, Palestinian militants h... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 6:08:57 PM
This is a lot of BS....... Years ago I saw a docum... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:44:30 PM
I and many people around the world have also been ... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:57:55 PM
Flimsy puny little home-made rockets that are litt... by Vierotchka on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 2:23:33 AM
First place Palestinians are not "continuously" sh... by Pal Palsimon on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 3:25:32 PM
That was a surprise.. I was waiting for the punchl... by Shaun McGee on Friday, Aug 8, 2014 at 11:04:59 PM
Another Op Ed member, E. J.N, whom I greatly admir... by Pal Palsimon on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:42:16 AM
As an atheist, I don't place a lot of "faith" in r... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:06:18 AM
Religions should not claim the land, only people s... by BFalcon on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:33:36 PM
Well, see the link to my 2009 article above.But th... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 6:12:30 PM
Published on Dec 2, 2012 See video Miko Peled was... by Pal Palsimon on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:18:38 AM
Why not support a "one world solution"? By definit... by Daniel Geery on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:01:02 PM
Why not support a one world solution?Well, for one... by Scott Baker on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:44:08 AM
Scott, That is of course the ideal, and very possi... by Daniel Geery on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:08:30 PM
I live 3 blocks from the U.N. so I can tell you th... by Scott Baker on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:33:20 PM
The U.N. is probably less popular here in Utah--wh... by Daniel Geery on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:29:25 PM
I think you'd make a great dictator, Dan! LOL ... by Meryl Ann Butler on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 2:26:14 PM
Well, thanks, though I don't think my wife agrees ... by Daniel Geery on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 6:22:42 PM
The one and only reason anyone should ever support... by Mark A. Goldman on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 8:36:41 AM
Interesting article. One could make the argument ... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 10:38:35 AM
Israel did not come into being by way of any ratio... by Mark A. Goldman on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 11:36:03 AM
I might add the best overview of how Israel and th... by Mark A. Goldman on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 8:42:12 AM
Without even following the link, I find the title ... by Scott Baker on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:52:20 AM
To find this kind of article in OpEd News is disap... by William Newman on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 9:05:18 AM
Thanks -- you nailed it, William! ... by Shireen Parsons on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:24:27 PM
I personally think some neoliberal trolls are behi... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 12:22:28 AM
I gave a thumbs up, but also note that Scott's art... by Daniel Geery on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:04:41 PM
Israel was never, "The lovable baby at the start".... by Paul Repstock on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 9:49:32 AM
Here is a list of 69 Arab-Israeli past and present... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 10:46:39 AM
Wow! 69 Arab representatives since 1949 in a regio... by Vernon Huffman on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:23:50 PM
Sounds like Zionist Apologetics, even though it's ... by E. J. N. on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 11:29:45 AM
Tallying Israeli War Crimes by Marjorie Cohn is an... by E. J. N. on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 1:55:58 PM
Israel's disingenuous use of Hamas as a straw dog ... by Shireen Parsons on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 1:22:01 PM
Rereading my earlier comment, I see that some of m... by Mark A. Goldman on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 1:46:45 PM
... by E. J. N. on Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 at 9:21:58 PM
My "answer" to SB's article's 10 points (and his e... by Gary Corseri on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 1:51:10 PM
I like your "USrael" article, shared it on fb. Go... by Kim Cassidy on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:11:48 AM
Israel is a racist state that is engaged in a deca... by Jim Thomas on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 2:13:22 PM
Oh my god! Where to begin! Reading over Scott's a... by Dave Lindorff on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:21:33 PM
4. Gaza's Hamas has every right to fire those rock... by Dave Lindorff on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:24:30 PM
7. Speaking as a non-jew married to a non-religiou... by Dave Lindorff on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:25:07 PM
Again, if Israel truly occupied Gaza, as did until... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 6:24:22 PM
Israel doesn't occupy Gaza, anymore than the Nazis... by Dave Lindorff on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 7:04:06 PM
Access to Gaza is controlled by both Israel and Eg... by Scott Baker on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 2:34:51 AM
I truly hope you are being paid to write this nons... by Paul Repstock on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 9:59:36 PM
The fact that the Israeli military government, bou... by Dave Lindorff on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 7:43:31 AM
Yes David, open up the borders for import and expo... by Michael Dewey on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 8:51:44 AM
In fact, the U.S. is one of the major donors to th... by Scott Baker on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 9:06:54 AM
For anything to every change for the better over i... by Michael Dewey on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 12:02:08 PM
I doubt Netanyahu would agree to one people-one la... by Scott Baker on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 9:24:50 AM
Well, if nothing else, it's certainly allowed the ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 1:31:44 PM
Who are these "Jew haters" of which you speak? Gra... by James Cerveny on Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 10:57:00 AM
Look very closely and very carefully. See who has ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 at 8:56:08 PM
I also did not see any Jew-haters commenting on th... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 3:27:51 AM
I found nothing of value in your article... really... by Pal Palsimon on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:02:33 AM
I think you did and are doing a great job Scott. ... by Shirley Braverman on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:50:32 AM
Thank you.I agree with you on Israel's accomplishm... by Scott Baker on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 2:04:44 AM
Fact that they are "second or third leader in pate... by Pal Palsimon on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:59:38 PM
"It was founded on the expropriation, courtesy of ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:56:04 AM
I'll keep hoping Marty Stuart's words in Badlands ... by Michael Dewey on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 4:30:59 PM
Clearly, the European invasion of the Americas, in... by Stephen Unger on Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 at 9:34:02 AM
It does not, no. But when you try to tell someone ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 at 9:24:55 PM
It's wrong to say to the children of colonists tha... by Jim Arnold on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 4:22:33 AM
Hoo boy.1) Not an objection, more of an observatio... by J. Edward Tremlett on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 8:05:44 AM
Jim Arnold's response is right on target. I will e... by Stephen Unger on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:35:37 AM
Right on the target, but wide of the mark, as the ... by J. Edward Tremlett on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 10:45:25 AM
Thanks, Dave, for setting the record straight. I, ... by Michael Maria Schiffmann on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:08:07 PM
Thanks for the fresh air, Dave Lindorf! ... by Gary Corseri on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 4:03:55 PM
There is a simple and effective solution for Benja... by Daniel Geery on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 5:10:27 PM
10 Reasons Progressives Ought to support Coloniali... by Jim Kavanagh on Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 at 6:05:57 PM
This Land is Mine ... by Vierotchka on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 2:35:11 AM
The above video is even more effective when watche... by Paul Repstock on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 10:27:13 AM
The Jewish State is just as bad an idea as the Isl... by Paul Easton on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 5:13:51 AM
Religions are all about a quest for power and domi... by Paul Repstock on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 10:42:12 AM
Thank you for this well written article. It speak... by rini920 on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:11:22 AM
I am sure the author has a deep sentimental attach... by Elias Vlanton on Sunday, Aug 10, 2014 at 8:55:46 PM
When you reduce yourself to the ancient bleat: "Yo... by Jim Arnold on Monday, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:57:27 PM
Unless, of course, THOSE people really are much wo... by Scott Baker on Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 2:34:08 AM
Where else would they put their people? And should... by Jim Arnold on Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:00:35 AM
The situation in what used to be called Palestine ... by Stephen Unger on Tuesday, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:36:34 AM
World opinion is against Israel. Every day more an... by Linda Milazzo on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 12:06:44 AM
That problem you describe about this author is bec... by Pal Palsimon on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 12:46:27 AM
Pal - I am not a neoliberal troll or anything like... by Scott Baker on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 3:34:45 AM
Good for you, Pal and keep up the good work, telli... by michael payne on Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 8:33:39 PM
I can imagine all kinds of reconciliation and inte... by Scott Baker on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 3:24:54 AM
Yet again all suggestions to study the scholarship... by Linda Milazzo on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 7:38:03 AM
I actually do read some of your suggested material... by Scott Baker on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:53:49 AM
Spot on remarks, with important references, Linda.... by Jim Kavanagh on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 1:26:02 PM
Scott,As you know, my beliefs on this subject diff... by Meryl Ann Butler on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 8:17:11 AM
Thank you.These are my sentiments exactly.Whenever... by Scott Baker on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 9:32:27 AM
Meryl,I believe your sentiment is very good, sound... by Jim Arnold on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:04:04 AM
Thanks, Jim! I don't mean that having respect mean... by Meryl Ann Butler on Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 12:00:18 PM
With all due respect to Mr. Baker, this is a horri... by James Cerveny on Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 10:29:53 AM
Your answer is a non-sequitur, assuming facts not ... by Scott Baker on Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 11:54:23 AM
An eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, that's one t... by Pal Palsimon on Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 2:58:18 AM
The US Military defines Proportionality in war as:... by Scott Baker on Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 3:30:09 AM
Israel is "defending itself" from people who are d... by Jim Arnold on Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 8:06:50 AM
As I always say, there are billions of pages of le... by Pal Palsimon on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:36:18 AM
Jim: yes it most certainly is surreal and actually... by michael payne on Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 6:18:16 PM
@Jim: sorry for the typo; I meant to say that you ... by michael payne on Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 10:24:01 AM