Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 1 (1 Shares)
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites View Stats   26 comments

Our Brains Hardwired for Empathy and Friendship

Quicklink submitted by Daniel Geery     Permalink
Related Topic(s): ; , Add Tags

News 1   Interesting 1

opednews.com Headlined to H4 8/24/13

At www.sciencedaily.com

hands
(image by Credit: © Robert Kneschke / Fotolia)

Perhaps one of the most defining features of humanity is our capacity for empathy -- the ability to put ourselves in others' shoes. A new study strongly suggests that we are hardwired to empathize because we closely associate people who are close to us -- friends, spouses, lovers -- with our very selves.

Read the rest of the story HERE:

At www.sciencedaily.com

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this Quicklink has expired.

love the last line:  People need friends, C... by Meryl Ann Butler on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 8:11:38 AM
I can't be America.  Maybe Cuba but certainly... by Lester Shepherd on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 11:24:01 AM
It was very disturbing to me to read the following... by Amy Schreiner on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 12:50:33 PM
I hope this study is flawed or what does that say ... by Amy Schreiner on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 2:02:05 PM
but studies I've read (I think notably Milgram) ha... by Daniel Geery on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 2:03:27 PM
I wondered whether getting to the place of seeing ... by Meryl Ann Butler on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 5:07:17 PM
Meryl Ann, I think that we're further down the evo... by Amy Schreiner on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 6:02:43 PM
...the evolutionary trail! But I think he's pretty... by Meryl Ann Butler on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 11:00:28 PM
If I see a clip of someone being abused, I most of... by Burl Hall on Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 5:30:05 AM
I suggest that empathy derives from a culturally d... by Jim Arnold on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 2:12:32 PM
The generally accepted definition of a psychopath/... by Amy Schreiner on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 5:52:53 PM
the words of the Hindu Upanishads comes up:  ... by Burl Hall on Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 6:03:11 AM
Although the western world seems to more than just... by Amy Schreiner on Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:42:05 PM
Thanks for this information Amy.  For me, the... by Burl Hall on Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 5:37:21 AM
Such as, "Now the word "empathy" would have to be ... by Daniel Geery on Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:46:28 PM
have shown that some people have sections of brain... by Daniel Geery on Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:24:08 PM
If certain sectors of my brain light up when I wat... by Jim Arnold on Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:01:28 PM
1) I didn't write the article, merely posted the ... by Daniel Geery on Tuesday, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:25:31 AM
Daniel, I understand that you didn't write the art... by Jim Arnold on Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:55:36 PM
I am often dismayed or at least seriously put off ... by Daniel Geery on Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:26:17 PM
Great article! Would love to see more like this bu... by Meryl Ann Butler on Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:28:25 PM
The portions of the brain that show empathy are th... by Vernon Huffman on Sunday, Aug 25, 2013 at 5:02:56 PM
Looking at it from a species / ecological level, t... by Burl Hall on Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 6:09:47 AM
I don't know if I missed it, but in reference to t... by anna kakol on Monday, Aug 26, 2013 at 12:56:12 PM
say that we inhabit a universe, both inwardly and ... by Burl Hall on Friday, Aug 30, 2013 at 5:52:27 AM
Robert, I must say these are golden words. Everyth... by Joanna Lucky on Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:40:56 AM